1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

signs (telephone poles)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodney, Feb 16, 2002.

1. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

what do you think about signs on telephone poles. I see a lot of advertising on poles, is this legal?
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it legal? I dont know. Would I do it? never! If you want to advertise do flyers, door hangers, place mat adds (resturaunt) phone book, letter your truck and more, I dont look at poles for signs (Stop signs ect yes but flyers on poles no) I think you would be WASTING your time. To get results you need to target areas you want to service and go directly to them! Personaly for our kind of services its kinda lame to advertise on poles but its only my opinion!
  3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I see signs all over the place, right or wrong it is happening. I have put them at street coners on a H-frame stuck in the ground but never on a pole. Some neighborhoods will not let you solicit with door hangers so it is post cards and/or signs right where they exit the neighborhood. Once you're in, you're in!!! I have got some very good accounts this way.
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

anyone know if its legal or not?
  5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know if it legal or not .

It's plenty other ways to advertise!
  6. GreenIsland

GreenIsland LawnSite Member

I believe it just depends where you live and city code- WHen I lived in Sandusky, Ohio I personally seen a police offcier make someone remove them. Besides the things shout--- kid with a lawnmower/scrub for hire.
  7. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

The poles belong to the power company. (private property)
    Not legal But bottom line it's up to the power company.

Stick them in the ground. then its only litter.
  8. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Rodney I think whether it is leagel or not would depend on the city you live in I'm sure its different for each one.
  9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Our city just made it illegal not too long ago. They must enforce it because I havn't seen any signs, and I like it that way. We used to have signs all over the place, whether it be garage sales or the signs that have a phone number to call about weight loss...It's nice not having to look at that garbage anymore! I would check with the city to see if it is legal or not.
  10. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i dont see any lawncare sighns .but theres a whole lot of sighns like small business insurance , weight loss ,and make money with computer .
    all are nice looking (pro done).i dont think there geting in any trouble or there wouldnt be so many.