silhouette entry sign

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by stiches9, Feb 6, 2007.

1. stiches9

stiches9 LawnSite Member

hi guys. need some help lighting a neighborhood entrance sign. the thought is to wash a 3'x12' stone slab (burnt orange and gray - not uniform in color) in light and mount the letters on standoffs so that you will see the silhouette against the lit background. it seems that the lights would have to be mounted almost at the very surface of the slab to keep from lighting up the front of the letters, but not sure... which fixtures may work for this? your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

how far is the standout? and how far from the ground is the sign? where will you be mounting the lights?

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Kevin, I think that this is what you might be trying to do. We attached 12v rope lighting directly to the back of the letters to give the silhouette effect.

600 tower.jpg

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, very innovative solution. Who is manufacturing 12v rope lights and where can they be had?

Kirk

5. stiches9

stiches9 LawnSite Member

indeed Paul, I agree with Kirk. this is very innovative and the result is fabulous based on your pix, and exactly what we need. your previous posts suggest a focus on quality, so there is no doubt that this must be a reliable solution. more questions (+ Kirk's): how is the rope fastened to the back of the letters? how would one replace a light rope gone bad?

6. stiches9

stiches9 LawnSite Member

Kirk, the slab is planted in the ground so for the wall wash approach we could go quite low. the thought was to mount directly to the surface of the slab if there are fixtures that would support this and provide a uniform wash. the letters could be extended to any standout depth, but it may look a little funky during the day if mounted too far out.

Kevin

7. NightScenes

Kirk, here is a link for the rope light, http://www.platinumlightinginc.com/Rope/12vindx/12VClr/12vclear.html . The good thing about 12v rope light is that you can cut it about every 6" and can also cut back the voltage to extend lamp life. Kevin, if lights go out you would have to replace the whole strand. One good thing about this type of linear lighting is it's long life. These things will last for years, especially if you cut back the voltage to 11v. I attached them with very fast setting silicon that is designed to hold things. This worked much better than the super glue that I tried.

8. stiches9

stiches9 LawnSite Member

Paul, cut up the longer guides and used expoxy to fasten them to the steel sign (after grinding to remove rust). A bit tedious, but works great. Hope they hold up better than the clips - thanks for the heads up on this.

Didn't anticipate the lights when viewing the sign from a side angle. Was thinking about painting the edge of the rope to avoid direct viewing of the rope.

Should I use a reflective paint before a "rust colored" top coat?

Thanks again for all of your help.

KevinO

9. NightScenes

Kevin, I wouldn't worry about the side view. It only lasts a second as they drive by. Your always going to find an angle where glare exists. If you paint it, you are going to cut down on your effect, and you don't want that.

10. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

This is a great statement and one to fully understand and accept. You show me a 100% glare free from every possible angle project and I will show you a project that looks like s. World class work Paul. Excellent photo too.