1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Silly n Strange Irrigation Requests

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Aug 9, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

What's some really strange or silly irrigation requests you've been asked by irrigation customers?

Something like:

"can you synchronize the rotory heads so they all spray in the same direction at the same time"?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

"I want drip emitters on my 100 year old Fir tree's".

We did end up doing them. I still don't think the tree noticed.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Phone calls asking ,"whats a average irrigation system cost?"
  4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta be one of my all time favorite questions. haven't had the nerve to tell them "A Lot!" yet cause you never know.
  5. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Awesome, right up my alley. Have a customer that was one of our first that had a sump pump in his back yard that drained to the very back end of his property (300ft deep lot or so) well anyway, he insisted he wanted to "reclaim" the water he was already paying for so he told us to "throw a couple spray heads on the sump line" so we did and he had a small patch of very very nice grass in his backyard.
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Towards the end of my career, I was able to say, "there is no average, but
    I have not put a system in for under 10K for twenty years, does that bother
    you?, if not I'll be over in the morning and survey your site." You are right
    jerry, you've got to look at every site...whether you take them or not!:)
  7. The weirdest request I ever had was to paint the sprinkler stems(the pop up part) with reflective paint.

I told him that the fact that the stems would probably stick up(sometimes they do) but the paint would stick to stem and would either flake off or scrub off.

He always walked out his door at night,system would be running at that time and wanted to see the stems especially when the ocean fog was in. What we finally did was to paint the tops(impossible to see though because of accumulated dirt) with reflective paint so at least he new where the heads were.
  8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: That is great, did the guy talk to trees too?
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

someone who used to run around my area (I suspect lawn mower again) has painted the stems of the popups with that bright orange paint. I guess so they can see that they are stuck up?
  10. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

We just bought this house and the previous owners said the sprinkler system hasn't worked in 10 years. Could you give us a "free and accurate" estimate to get this system up and running again?