Silverado 2500hd

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by jrodgers, Feb 15, 2001.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Just bought a 2001 Silverado 2500hd with the new Duramax Diesel anyone else have one? If so how do you like it? I,m trying to decide if I want to put a plow on it or not. Its just to pretty now but I know it would kick out some snow!!!!( Tons of power).
  2. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

I looked at one hard but went with another Dodge Ram; I had a 1500 and just got a 2500. Liked the Chevy though. Great engine!!
  3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a C & C at a dealer with the duramax looks very good have not heard one run yet.I was woundering if they will run the dyed fuel if your working of road.I heard that it kills the engine I wounder how true that is.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Jrodgers-my friend got one back in early december2500 excab swb,LT-he loves it.Check your oil,it seems that most of them are delivered 1 quart low on oil,he checked his at 1300 miles and it wasnt on the stick,it needed 1 1/2 to fill it.That truck moves out ,doesnt it?Amazingly quick for a stock diesel.
  5. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Since you've already bought the truck you may have already answered your own question about the plow. Open the drivers side door and look at the Front Axle rating to see if your truck can hold one.

I looked at a gorgeous 96 F-350 4x4 Diesel (I never buy new and have never bought a diesel. GVFAW was 4800 lbs. Went to my trusty fisher dealer and found out fisher requires a 4800 lbs with gas, 5000 lb front end with diesel.

Now I'm sure at least 5 guys will write in saying "ohhhh that dont matter or B*llsh*t I have a 10-15 ft plow on my 96 diesel" blah blah blah. But any dealer that would knowingly overload a vehicle or mount a plow to a truck that it shouldnt be on is a hazard to anyone on the road, not just the guy driving the truck.

6. John DiMartino

The GM truck all have the same front axle ratings for that configuration,unlike Ford.As long as that truck isnt a crew cab it cn take a plow,but it might squat some in the front end.I see tons of Ford SD deisel excabs with plows-all overweight,dealers are not supposed to install plows on them,but they want the money so they do it anyway.
  7. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

I have asked the same question several times here and on other threads; what I am doing (since I have a RAM 2500 with a QC) is being a little causious; I think that the Dodge specs are a little too low and some of the manufactors are a little off also so with installation of two sets of Musle LSE Ballasts and I have the plow backage; if you have a GFVW of over 5200 the plow dealers will sell you anything.
  8. John DiMartino

The dodge needs a 5200 lb dana 60,since the Cuimmins engine is so heavy,as is the PSD.The duramax diesel isnt as heavy and that allows them to put plows on their excabs without trouble.I think the dodge is rated to plow with a 700 lb plow on the ram 2500-and 3500 quad cab,the Ford Sd's are not rated to plwo with an excab or crew cab/psd at all,except F450/550.
  9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Timbrens or Muscle LSE's are never a bad idae, even with the one ton.
  10. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I just checked the front gvw and it is 4670lbs so I wonder what I can get. I know that they didnt offer a snow plow prep package for the extra cab but I thought that was because the diesel already came with most of what that constisted of. If I did put one on I would be the only one driving it and I am pretty easy on the trucks when I drive them. And also our snows out here vary so much from year to year some years we dont plow that much at all and some we do(Im on that snow/rain line). So far I like the truck though I only get Chevy so other trucks werent an option.(Just have had good luck with Chevy) Thanks for the replies!!!!