SIMA in Canada

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by HC, Dec 5, 2000.

1. HC

HC LawnSite Member

I have read ALL the posts regarding SIMA and the benefits of joining. I agree with all of them. However, is there a benefit for Canadians to join? or is the information and services offered geared for the U.S. only. Thanks,,,Pat

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

We have members from all over. In fact Clintar is a huge Canada based business and were in SIMA from the start. We have members from over seas as well. Anyone who is in the snow and ice business can benifit Weather you plow it, make it sell it , store it, or make the equipemnt to deal with it, SIMA is your only trade organization.
    Dino

3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We joined this year. We're in Burlington. Can't say that we've noticed any appreciable benefits thus far, but we're displaying the logo in our advertising and on our trucks. We make mention of SIMA in our quotations to commercial properties. Certainly can't hurt to join. The cost isn't too high. However, we're too far to attend symposiums (maybe they'll have one in Buffalo eventually) and the Snow mag that is available to members can also be accessed online by non-members at Lawn&Landscape. So the jury is still out. Certainly I've gotten much more useful information through this forum, than through membership so far.

4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said.

5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Hey John,

Betcha meant "Well said...Dino."

6. John Allin

Yup. You're right. If you look at the 'time' of my post, you can understand how it may have gotten mixed up.

Well said, Dino.

7. John Allin

While the magazine can be seen at Lawn and Landscape on line, there are benefits that go beyond a mere magazine. Having the logo is a small benny too. The large benefit is from networking with others that are not afraid to give you specifics on how to work the business better. Even in this forum, some things go unsaid - and will go unsaid.

One gets out of any organization what one puts into it. The Symposium in Portland, ME was only a few hours from you via car. If that's too far to travel to gain knowledge that could be of great benefit - then maybe SIMA isn't for you. On the other hand, I would venture to say that you may have alot to offer other members if you can see a way to attend a Symposium.

One thing that comes from belonging to an organization like SIMA is that there is strength in numbers. Do you purchase aftermarket parts for your equipment ?? If so, there is a discount available to members through J. Thomas Distributors.

Do you make long distance calls ?? I'm not sure if this applies in Canada, but there is a long distance program discount available through SIMA.

Are you large enough to afford, or want, to purchase snow pushers ?? Pro-Tech now offers SIMA members a discount on their equipment.

An insurance program is being developed that I know will be available in Canada. We should have that in place by the end of this summer.

These things come about by offering potential vendors a pool that is attractive to them. You're being a member helps increase that "purchasing power".

The organization is very new - having only been in existance 4 1/2 years now. And we are at 600 members. PGMS is just under 500 members. PLCAA is just under 1000 members. ALCA is around 1200 members. Those are VERY large organizations in their industries. And they have been around a LONG time. In another two years we will dwarf those organizations in total membership. Large numbers equal power when it comes to influencing manufacturers in their dealings with those in our industry.

Hope this information helps. I'm not trying to sermonize, just impart some of the background philosophy of the orgaization. We are glad to have you as a member.

By the way.... we plan on the 2003 Symposium being in the Buffalo area. Sure hope you don't wait that long to attend.

8. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Well I feel better.

9. John Allin

And Digger feeling better makes it all worth the effort.....

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

OK heres the thing with SIMA. It may take a while to see a return on investment. I joined in Feb of 1999, and went to the second annual symp. in Pittsburg PA. I have to say that I learned more in three days than I did in 10 yrs of plowing. After that three days, we also did a trade show booth for SIMA in Sept that year. There we met 3 other SIMA members, and last winter we did the NJ landscape show and met other SIMA members. From these people cam experience and knowledge along with product info and sales. Now I have to say that from a learning point of view, we didnt learn as much this last year in Portland Maine, but we made even more contacts, and it helped us further our business this season. Also from the last two years we have raised the professionalism with our company towards snow removal, and it is now paying off. I can say with a certainty that all the contracts we signed this year( and they are about 6 new ones) are directly or at least somewhat influenced by ouyr association with SIMA. And I cant say enough good things about about the Exec director, she bends over backwards for all the members, and the board does as well.
    So even if you dont see imediate results, hang around for a while, and I think you will be surprised at what you get out of SIMA.
    Dino