1. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

This question was asked in another thread, and its been awhile since we have discussed SIMA.
    It stands for Snow and Ice Management Association
    their web site is as follows
    They have just put a brand new site, and it is a great improvemnt over the old one. We even have a threaded forum. Not as many posts as here, but more detailed answers to certain types of questions. Take a look, and get some info on the organization.
    Feel free to call me at 860-859-0739, and I will happy to answer any questions regarding how I feel about SIMA.
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

The association was formed back in 1996. Some minor history is on the web site. The actual story is long, and I was one of the 8 guys that was there "in the beginning" at the first organizational meeting. It (an association) was much needed and filled a large void as there is no other national association for contract plowers and property managers that do in-house plowing.

The first Symposium was held in 1998 in Pittsburgh, PA. Three days of very intense interaction amongst plowers from all over the US and Canada. This June's Symposium will include our first trade show as well as numerous educational sessions. SIMA's Annual General Membership Meeting is also held at the Symposium.

SIMA has a magazine that is published 4 times a year and is an insert in Lawn & Landscape magazine. It is our goal to have it as a stand alone magazine within the next 18 months.

We currently have 650 members from 37 (?) states, Canada and Finland.

You can find out more at the web site - http://www.sima.org

I'm sure others will give some feedback here as to their thoughts on the subject.
  3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

As someone new to snowplowing and starting a snow removal business, I have found membership in SIMA to be an invaluable resource. The first example was when I discussed plans with the insurance agent. She asked how much experience I had in the field. Although I admitted to having no experience, when I mentioned belonging to SIMA and explained what it is, I gained credibility and that went on the form to the ins company. I also put it in my advertising and business cards.

4. John Allin

Tammy's back from the Toronto show. Says it went great!!! Huge show. Canucks did it up right.
    Membership up to 656 as of this afternoon.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Iam not a memeber but have been considering it. My question is after seeing the price I wonder what the benfits are. Can someone give me more info?
  6. John Allin

For the dollars spent on membership, the returns are tremendous.

Email Tammy at the SIMA office, and she'll gladly have Vickie or Grace forward a mountain of information. Or.. better yet... go to the web site and just ask for info.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have sent a couple of e-mails with no response. This suprised me as this site has always praised them. I just sent another mail to them. Hope to get some info.
  8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

The person that gets those E-mails was away for a trade show & just got back. I'm sure she will reply to you as soon as she gets back into the office & gets it.
  9. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

SIMA has made our snow removal business grow 150% over the last three years. It has been so valuble to us, I think we are going to become a life time member this year. Also the new website is great.
  10. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

make that 657 and growing , I just mailed my membership this morning