Simazine gummed up at bottom, OK to use rest?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Applying simazine and get to the bottom of the jug and it is gummed up the bottom about an inch thick, almost a solid, can't even stir it with a stick. Do you think that made the rest in the jug weaker? I have another jug just like it and need to go out and spray tomorrow and was wondering if it would be OK to use? Can't get anymore til Tuesday and would like to finish spraying. What do you think?

2. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

How long has it been sitting dont think I would use it. But would be calling my rep if it was bought this year i dont use that product.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

any white colored product must be stired before each pour. If you have not been shaking the jug before pouring it u have been pouring out all the additives and leaving the chemical on the bottom in super concentrate form. risky to use it.

4. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Posted via Mobile Device

5. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Shook it well as always, but this at the bottom isn't going anywhere. It's that thick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

the chemical maybe out of date or maybe it was frozen at sometime. u always a have a white film in simizine and atrizine in the jug and white flakes as u get to the bottom of the jug. never seen it more then like a thin coat of wet paint being pulled off a wall.

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

AR,

I had a gallon of Daconil weatherstick that did that to me. I know this is apples to oranges but the concept is the same. The simazine has the viscosity of calamine lotion and must be shaken periodically if left idle for periods of time, especially in the shelter of weather. You know even under cover and not at room temperature it will settle and phase separate. The stuff you pour out of the container will be the stablizers, etc. and I will not use it.
    My Daconil had to be discarded on my property and weathered down with plenty of water.
    I often wonder about the age of a product at the time of purchase.......the time it sets on the dealers shelf before i purchase it. It is hard to keep in the habit of shaking a product you arent using much until the fall. I buy mine in the off season at better prices and it sits on the shelf all summer long.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If it was that thick at bottom your apps with the jug are no good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I figured so but didn't want to believe it. That sound you hear is me crying.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I've left simazine in my skid before and it sets up like semi dry paint at the bottom and had to be removed with a brush.

A few outbreaks of poa never hurt anyone! ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device