1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

simple compost tea brewer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by phasthound, Aug 30, 2008.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Get yourself a cone bottom poly tank on a stand, a regenerative blower, a mesh bag, valve and hose. Hook up the blower hose & valve to the bottom opening of tank, hang bag with compost, add food, brew, test, repeat until you have the microbes you want.

It's about proper oxygenation, good compost, right mix of foods and time.

Note: the photos are not to scale. :)

cone bottom tank with stand.jpg

Regenerative_Blower.jpg

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

good idea barry, if the power goes dead the regen gets a tea bath??? diffuser?? why the bag?? a bucket to load the tank??

I mean really if it was that simple they guys like wallz would not be spending there time on here pumping me for info, nice cone, whats the moving load in the stand or is that a stationary tank??? we have seen a little metal stand like that eat a hole in cone tank, thats why we use a molded one piece tank that has the stand as an integral part of the tank. most of the brewers on the market are just plain junk, tims is a great idea, the big gaudy gray plastic ones work good to, for 6K$. and bills favorite with the stainless and a hole in a IBC are good ones also, but long and short there is some slack brewers out there.

3. treegal1

also that re gen would not make the pressure to move air up in 48 inches of water, good try......

4. treegal1

bio diesel ware house and Canada blowers, lets see second row on the right side of a search????

5. treegal1

also a 90 deg F adding food is not that great an idea at the start. IMO.

6. phasthound

That's what they were showing off at the tea seminar. Very simple design put together by Matt Slaughter of Soil Foodweb Lab in Corvallis, manufactured & sold by his other company Earthfort. http://www.earthfort.com/store/

Elaine stated that this was the only manufacturer that consistently tests with the lab (go figure) and consistently has good results. Other manufacturers either don't test or haven't done so for years.

Just passing info on, not endorsing anything.

Stationary stand, I prefer basket instead of bag, the 1/3 HP blower had the water rolling quite nicely. Power outages are rare in my neck of the woods. They sell a molded tank, too.

I just picked up a used second brewer for next to nothing, similar tank & stand but with an aquarium pump & diffuser tube installed in the side. You can bet I'll be modifying it.

7. phasthound

Those were photos Google for examples only.

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're in the market for a great, simple compost tea brewer, check out the Microbulator 50 at www.microbeorganics.com. I'm very impressed with the results thus far.

Treegal already mentioned it, but the blower below the tea = bad news. If there's a power outage the pump will be damaged. Also, after brewing with and without an extractor bag, you get much more diversity without the bag. We use KIS tea kits, and the only downside is the wood chunks and pine cones that are great for fungal counts, but not good for the main tube that circulates the tea.

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This might be a little tongue in cheek, but isn't it a little odd that the companies that get the most consistent testing get the most plugs? From what I've learned from Tim and from what Tree has said, this design is weak.

10. phasthound

Absolutly correct!

The amount of food varies with temp.