Simple flagstone install question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoetschOutdoor, Mar 20, 2007.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I have a customer that wants a simple flagstone area put in one of her large mulch beds. Ive never done anything like pavers or flagstone besides simply laying them for a walkway at my house and was wondering if I have the right idea going here:
    Dig down about 8 inches, fill 3" with crushed stone for drainage
    Put the landscape fabric over the stone and put 3" of the proper sand down and compact. Apply stones and sweep sand in the joints, keeping the gaps as small as possible. She wants to plant some ground cover type of moss between the stones so is sand still the only option?

I know somone is going to rip on me and say that I shouldnt work for a customer until I know exactly what Im doing. This seems like a perfect job for my first and this lady has been a loyal friend and customer for some time now. The patio is only going to be about 10x10 and has easy access for the excavating and install. Ive been doing alot of reading on random websites so my thoughts are kinda all over the place and need some of the expertise this site has to offer. I got into maintanence about 8 years ago and now I have to start somewhere for patios and the like. I would never tackle a job that Im not qualified for or cant do an excellent job on and this job seems like its very doable, I just need some guidance. Sorry for the book here guys.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Irregular stone is a PITA to dry-lay and keep level to each other... You'll want to strive for 1" of sand under the flag, but you will probably end up with more.

Minimum of 4" of compacted road base gravel under the sand, geo-textile fabric separating the gravel and sub-grade. More than 4" is probably better. Compact in lifts, chances are you won't have a huge compactor, so 1-2" lifts to be safe. No real need for fabric between the gravel and setting bed sand.

As for planting in between, I'm not 100% sure how to tackle that. My first inclination is to tell you to mix portland in with the setting bed sand, lay the stones, then dig out your joints and fill with some planting mix and wet the entire thing down... Someone else might have a better idea though.
  3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to put a growth medium in the joints and make up a moss mixture garden gate magazine has great recipies usually water and household ingredients brush on heavy and wait. the problem is irregular stone is a pain and hard to keep from shiffting. we do the same as above but on one occasion we hired amason that mixed an adhesive slash mortar which has held up for 4 years now. they paid huge money for this the guy drove from far away I wish I knew what he did? Let me call customer I will post if I find anything out just be patient and presort and lay out stones to make selection easier good base good prep also wathc overall grade I think it works best if stones almost lay below soil by just a hair
  4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What stone are you using? Is the area heavily shaded? Your plan is right but go with at least 4" of road base (1" minus around here) than 2" of concrete sand. 6" would be the best though. Compact the base only. Try to gradually step up or down with the stone thickness as you go it helps from pulling your hair out. I mean try to keep all the same thickness stones in one area if possible. Get a degraded mulch or compost and sweep that in the joints a liitle at a time while misting with water as you go. This will be the best for the moss joints since it's the closest to the natural moss growth area in our woods. I've never had the greatest luck with transplanting or growing moss though.