Simple Green did wonders on my Stihl trimmer and edger.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXbulldog, Apr 23, 2007.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

This weekend I finally got around to doing my yearly maintenance on my trimmer and edger. I changed the fuel filters, the spark plugs, air cleaners, lubed the shafts, greased the gearboxes, installed new trimmer line and a new edger blade, cleaned and adusted the carbs. I also cleaned the both the trimmer and edger from top to bottom using some Simple Green. The trimmer in the picture is a Stihl FS80 that is four years old. The edger is a Stihl FC85 and is three years old. The only thing that is a dead giveaway that my trimmer and edger are not new is the discolored gas tanks from being in the sun. -Jason:)

118_1824_M.JPG

118_1825_M.JPG

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have takin before pictures.. But if your looked anything like mine. Ill be tryin SG also. They look really clean.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I love Simple Green. Works just as well on mower decks and anywhere else where grass builds up and stains. Love the stuff!

4. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Yea that stuff works great.
    I've used it before and it smells good too.

5. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I have never made any effort to make my trimmers look pretty.

6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a product better than Simple green. Its call AcuSal 20/20 made by Certified Chemical Co. It very expensive and only bought form a distributer salesmen. It comes in 2, 2 1/2 gallon jugs or 5 gallons and is a very strong considerate. It can be mixed of 20 to 1 to, 80 to 1, Its a commercial greas cutter thats water soluble, great stuff.

If left on glass to dry it will etch it as well as stainless steel. You spry it on, let it set a short time and wash it off. If left on your hands to long it will wash off all your skin oils as well. Only time I ever had any problem was once the spray mist blew onto my new prescription glasses so I took them off and forgot to rinse them with water. And etched the glass so bad they was a total loss.

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used some stuff called Big Orange on my mowers, it works pretty well.

8. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

If left on glass to dry it will etch it as well as stainless steel. You spry it on, let it set a short time and wash it off. If left on your hands to long it will wash off all your skin oils as well.

Why would you want to use something like that? Can't be great on the finish of a mower.
    I've used Simple Green on all my demo equipment - it's the best. Cleans everything and won't kill the shine.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Your equipment looks great! I have used SG in the past. Think I will go get me some and clean my stuff. I like clean equipment.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Does that stuff say it is safe for painted surfaces and such?