1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Simple landscape job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jrlandscaping781, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

Here are a couple pics of a recent small landscape job. Critique me please...

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

doesnt look to bad...but ya gotta remember threes and fives.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

What are threes and fives??????
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

odd number off plants. are you a landscaper? you put plants in odd numbers, not evens. the eye likes 3's and 5's better. like 3 hawthornes instead of two. 5 loripetalum instead of 4.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

he's right odd numbers carry the eyes even numbers detract it is a psychological thing 3's 5's and 7's but don't be discouraged, it is not a hard and fast rule looks good to me. What do the customers think?
  6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good , but plants are too close to the house - should be out past the dripline . Also , looks like some kind of gravel mulch , which is too much thermal mass for hot climates - but it is clean and well laid out . I don't use twos , but will use even numbers of plants if appropriate in larger plantings.
  7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good but you should have made the beds twice as big and had alot more space from the house. Oh well live and learn.
  8. tinye

tinye LawnSite Member

that wichita cedar?... way to close to the house, could have raised the beds a little and out for better drainage, maybe stager the shrubs in a traingle form. Is that gravel material instead of mulch?, hope it has a fabric layed underneath it. I'd go out with a row of more perennials for some color or fragrance. When you sit on the deck you want to stimulate all the senses. Maybe some ornamental grasses instead of the alberta spruces, so you can hear the grasses sway back and forth. Nice simple design. Maybe you were on a tight budget?
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

ahhhhrghhhh ! when ever anyone mentions Weed fabric I just have to scream.

I hope you did not contaminate your beds with that crap.
  10. tinye

tinye LawnSite Member

I agree, not a fan of fabric myself. I seem to take more of it out than install it. I think you have to go with drought tolerant plants when you incorporate gravel/boulders with your design, it attracts heat to the surface roots. Would you rather weed through gravel or mulch?