1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Simple Oversight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sharpcutter, May 15, 2004.

1. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

I don't know how many of you others have noticed this, but here it is.

For the last several weeks my lazer z seemed very skittish in the wet and on almost every slope I was on. And if the slope was wet, look out I was sliding all the way. I checked the tr pressure and dropped the rear tires by a few pounds in an effort to gain some traction. No luck. I was even going to get a set of atv tires for some extra bite.

Well as I would assume most of you do, I was doing some thinking while mowing, and realized That I had taken the bagger off of the back and had left the caster weights on the front. Why would that be significant?? They are there for when the bags are full of grass, so when the bags are off, they will just keep the nose down even better, right??

Well upon thinking on this some more as I slid down a slight grade, I thought maybe I`ll take them off and see what happens. I had never had them off because I bought the mower new with the bagger installed. First thing I noticed was wow were they heavy. ;)

So I finished the lawn I was working (which was very hilly and wet) and what a world of difference. This thing was sticking like glue and turning like a top without one slip of the wheels:eek:

I would have never guessed that those front caster weights would take that much weight off of the rear drive tires without the bagging system installed and making that much of a difference. today it poured all day, and I went and cut my father-in-laws place which is all sloped, and never had on problem.

Just thought I would put this out for those of you with baggers, or those who have recently got a bagger.