Simple pre-filter question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I was at the dealer today and purchased a handful of pre-filters for my 21 kaw. Get home and they are the wrong size. I usually stop in there on Tuesdays since it is on that days route. I am nowhere near the place until next Tuesday. (they really screwed me here)

Here's my question: The pre-filters are too big. I put it on the filter and could make it fit by doubling it around and then putting the cap back on to hold it in place. Is this a bad idea? Can this get my by until next week or should I make a special trip out there. I can't really put the old pre-filter on since it is ripped badly. :help:

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure that will get you by. Its not like you HAVE to have a pre filter on it.

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

You don't even have to have a pre-filter? Never heard that before. My pre-filters are always caked, I would hate to see all of that filth get into the actual filter.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you have another dealer out near you that would have one? Also, try some others that might be in areas of you other routes. By the way, you have a PM.

5. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

should those pre-filters for the big kawasaki's ever be oiled like on the 2 cycle suzuki's? or do you just wash them out with detergant, let them dry and use them again?

6. Simplyhere

Simplyhere LawnSite Member

Why not just fold cut them to the correct length, and staple them together. That ought to get you by for a week.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would personally not run the incorrect pre-filter. I would make a trip out to the deal ASAP. As pointed out if you werenÂ’t already running a pre-filter a few more days should really hurt anything unless you are in some really dusty/dry conditions.

Gravely_Man

8. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

The manufacturer put those on for a reason, my opinion is it's not good to alter the manufacturer's way of cleaning, make a trip and get the right ones

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If it was me I'd be back at that dealer with an invoice for dollars lost for having to make two trips. (of course I don't trust parts jockeys so I wouldn't have left store with out opening box to make sure). The ultimate responsibility really falls on the purchaser (cavet emptor) but you may be able to get some sort of satisfaction out of the deal. Yes the manufacturer put them there for a reason and it wasn't just to charge more for the machine. I wouldn't run it like that.

10. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

You don't have to run a pre filter it only captures the bigger objects like grass and leaves. The main filter or the paper filter gets most of the dust and smaller particles your pre filter can't get. Do what you feel you need to do I think I would run it and just blow the inner filter out with an air compressor from the inside out at the end of the day.