simple question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agriffn, Feb 10, 2002.

1. agriffn

agriffn LawnSite Member

i am starting a small legal lawn care business,

what is the difference between commercial and normal mowers

i have craftsman 6 horsepower push ( it has big rear wheels) wouldnt that work? why not if no

what is the best push mower out? honda?

do you ever mulch or always pick up grass

2. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Commercial Mowers are more durable. Like if your mowing and you hit a fence post with the wheel it won't break off on a commercial mower most likely. Most commercial mowers have steel wheels. Steal decks I think. They can run long hours. Have lage gas tanks for continious use.

Your mower will work fine. I started with a Murray that didn't even have wheel height. As for a good mower here in Texas most use Honda or Toro. In my opinion Toro gives a better cut than Honda. But Honda has a better transmission. Lots of speeds. Toro only hase 3 speeds then neutral. But I love my Toro!

I think Hoda's sell for about $800 to $1400. Rotary
    Toro $800 to $1200 Rotary
    I may be wrong have not looked in a while. Home depot carries Honda I think

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

agniffn do a search at the top of the page and youll have many hrs of research about equipment. Marks Mowing Service

4. No.

I discharge the clippings.

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial mowers are built to stand up to continuous use. They are also 3 times as expensive.

If we are talking only about 21" I like the Exmark Metro. Very soild 21" machine.

If you are just starting out your Craftsman will get you by. As you get more and more lawns you will need to upgrade.

I mulch everything. I never bag.
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i agree completely with everything said above
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

pro 2cycle usually has chrome plated cylinder and 2 piston rings.
    one of the big dif on commercial mowers is the deck are much stronger. other differences are less obvious but ,they are just made for daily use. homeowners machines dont need that.
    later now