Simple "tapered" non-BBC blade hub for a Kaw FJ180 BBC shaft?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by viking427, Nov 16, 2006.

1. viking427

viking427 LawnSite Member
    from SE USA

I'm putting a 6hp Kaw FJ180-CS09 (the "09" denotes tapered shaft for "Blade Brake Control") engine on an older Toro Commercial deck. The problem is I don't have the BBC assembly to go with it. Does anyone know of a simple keyed & tapered blade hub (spacer/adapter) that matches the tapered crank shaft outputs on the FJ180 BBC engines ? ..something that allows bolting the blade directly to the end of the shaft - circumventing the need to hunt down one of those costly and troublesome BBC units ? I could make a simple bushing to adapt a normal blade hub, but I'd like to do it right.
    -thx
    The Toro 22178, Metro 21 and JD commercials used the -09 taper shaft BBC FJ180's ..if that's any help.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I Myself have never seen nor heard of a blade adapter (hub) for a tapered shaft, This shaft configuration is intended for OEM's certain applications.

If someone does chime in with a source that would be great but probably unlikely.

Oh....Welcome to LawnSite....

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

the only one I know of is 2 stroke Lawnboys. I'm sure it won't fit your engine.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah, the 4 stroke lawnboys use that setup too. But that is a very big shaft on them. I dunno how big the Kawasaki shaft is...or what taper it uses. I highly doubt the lawnboy one would work.