1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Simplicity consumer z 44

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shawes, Jul 25, 2004.

1. shawes

shawes LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a ztr for my yard and I figured why not cut 5-10 other yards for some beer money. Would the simplicity consumer z 44 inch hold up to what I guess could be called, light commercial use?

Thanks for the help.
  2. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Simplicities have the reputation of being well built, and that doesn't sound like a lot of wear and tear to me. BUT...I think the warranty does drop from something like two years to one for commercial use, so that might be a consideration, as well as a clue.

On the other hand, I was thinking of doing something similar myself--not going crazy with the business, but just earning a little "beer money" and paying for the toys. With that in mind, I was wondering what the experts might suggest is the best way to go...a consumer-grade Z or a small, 32" or 36" commercial walk-behind w/proslide?
  3. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

FWIW: I researched the consumer Z's pretty thoroghly and chose the Hustler FastrakZ for it's rugged deck and heavier duty construction. I thought that it was the most commercial looking of the residential ZTR's.

THEN: After choosing the mower... I looked at the $$. The money convinced me to go with the Cub Cadet Tank. My 48" tank cost me $5400. The 42" Fastrak was going to cost me $3800.
    The Cub has 3 year warranty, the Hustler only had 2. Then came the 0% financing on the tank.

All put together, it made more sense to me to buy a heavier duty piece of equipment from the start. The 0% for 3 years offset the $1600 purchase price difference (somewhat).

In fairness to Hustler...I chose them as the best residential unit, and when you compare a residential model to a commercial unit you are truly comparing apples & oranges. I suppose I could have compared the Tank to the commercial hustler units to be fair... but the 48" commercial hustler Z priced out in the $6/7K range and did not offer the 0%.

I am a residential user. I mow 2 lawns, that are slightly larger than an acre. They are located 1.5 miles apart so I drive between them. I do not do yard work for others - - But I consider my use on the heavy end of "residential".

In my case it made more sense to go with a cheaper commercial unit than a more expensive residential version.

Perhaps someone on this site could better explain the hydrostatic pumps and motor differences between residential & commercial units. I understand that the commercial units have separate pumps and drive motors whereas the residential units have combo units.... Combos are tough, but separate seems to be more durable.