Simplicity consumer Z

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dondinct, May 9, 2004.

1. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

I've been reading most of the posts for the homeowner zero turn units in the forums on lawnsite. One unit that I haven't heard peopple talk about is the simplicity Z. at $4k it seems like a real competitor at that price break. I know the pros on here all swear by thier $6K units, but i'm not willing to spend that. The Hustler fasttrak looks nice and I've seen a Cub Cadet superZ that looks nice... any coments on the simplicity or the cub cadet in the $4K and under price range?

2. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the 20hp 50" z, now have 30 hours on it. I love it, it cuts great ,stripes ,and it much more effecient than my w/b. I've read that the vanguard engines don't need rebuilding until approx 2500 hours ,only time will tell. So far I love it and would recommend it.

3. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

If you have a Country Clipper dealer nearby, check out the JAZee models. All have kawi/kohler option, standard heavy duty flip-up deck for easy clean-up, a simple single joystick control and 19,000 blade tip speed for a professional cut. The JAZeeOne starts just under $3200 and would easily handle 1-2 acres. (www.countryclipper.com) Good luck!

4. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

There is a Clipper edaler in my area and I'm going to look at them. That flip up deck feature is nice. Not sure is the joystick is a good or bad thing though. I think it will be about the same price as a Simplicity Z if you compare engines and deck sizes. I'll have to ride one and see how it goes.

5. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

I looked a little closer at the specs on the clipper... It looks like ~$3400 gets a Kohler command 16hp /42" deck combo. The Simplicity Z has an 18hp Kohler command and a 44" deck at ~$4000. The Simplicity has commercial quality hydro units and looks to be built much better, with front suspension and a cage around the motor. It just looks like a hight quality unit. To me it looks like a well spent extra $600. Give me some feedback on this.

6. jrditty

jrditty LawnSite Member

I just bought the Simplicity Consumer Z a month ago. I have the 18hp, 44" version. I love this mower! It is built just like a commercial - great parts. My father in law has a $6900 Bunton and I was mowing with that for a little while before I bought the simplicity mower. The simplicity mower mows much better and has the same feel as the Bunton. I would highly recommend the Simplicity Consumer Z, if you can find one. I had to travel 2 hours to find a dealer that had one available. Buy with confidence!

7. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

JR
    How is that 18hp Kohler motor ? Does it sound nasty ? does it have enough power ? is it smooth ? Do you regret nt getting the V-twin with 50" deck ?

8. jrditty

jrditty LawnSite Member

I really argued over which one I should get (18hp/44" or 20hp/50") as well. I don't regret getting the 18hp/44" mower at all. The 20hp/50" is $600 more then the 18hp/44". I mow my 1 acre in about one hour (lots of trimming around trees as well) which is pretty good time. I probably would trim some time off of that with the 50" but it wasn't worth the $600 for me.

The 18hp engine has been great. I feel it's more then enough for what I need. It sounds great and is very smooth. I wouldn't trade it for the 20hp engine for $600 more. I have no problems at all with this mower. It feels like a commercial mower and is a steal at $4000. I would be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

9. jrditty

jrditty LawnSite Member

The striping bar is a plus too with these mowers.

10. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have to agree that the simplicity is built like a tank !! I looked at the hustler and although it's nice, I like the simplicity better. Does the front IS make for a more comfortable ride, or is it just a gimmick ? Have you tried the mulching option?