Simplicity or Gravely

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ZGuy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

I am in the final throws of selecting a ZTR, I am going between:

- Simplicity ZT18H $3850
    * 18HP Kohler Command Single Cylinder
    * Dual pumps and wheel motors
    * 44" Stamped 12Ga
    * Pivot front axle with anti-Scalp wheels on deck

- Gravely ZT1944 $3699
    * 19HP Kohler Command Twin Cylinder
    * IZT Dual Transmission drive
    * 44" Fab Deck 12Ga with anti-scalp wheels
    * Pivot or fixed front axle with anti-Scalp wheels on deck

- Gravely ZT1844XL $4099
    * 18HP Kohler Courage Single Cylinder
    * Dual pumps and wheel motors
    * 44" Fab Deck 12Ga with anti-scalp wheels on deck
    * Fixed front axle

It is a hard choice since they all have pros and cons. I am throwing this out to the group for input based on first or second hand experience.

Thank you as always.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about the Simplicity, But working for a EX Gravley dealer If I were you I'd run fast and hard away from a Gravley. It took me eight years to talk the boss into canning their junk. They to date still don't have a blade spindle assembly that will hold up and they seemed to be belt eaters.
    Wished I had a quarter for every spindle I rebuilt over the years. lol
    We now sell Dixie Choppers and I mite have 2 or 3 a month come in and then only for standard service or tire repairs.
    Just my 2 cents !

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer, and I can tell you that in the last 2 years, Gravely has made huge changes for the good, in their homeowner ZTR's. We had the option of selling both Gravely and simplicity. Well, the simplicity was not something we wanted our name associated with for the most part.
    The twin cyl. Command makes the 1944 a great choice. The deck is very well built, and we have seen no problems with the spindles in any machine we have sold in the last 2 years. Of course, they are not as heavy as the spindles on a commercial machine, but we have seen no problems from them, or from any other parts on those new homeowner Gravelys. They are a pretty solid and dependable machine.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

if you have a hustler dealer nearby, i would take a look at a mini fastrak or fasttrak. you will love the elegance of their simple and durable engineering.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't get a Simplicity, get a John Deere. Gravely is a fly-by-night brand, they don't sell well enough at dealers here to stay more than a year or so, and the parts also are not sold there anymore once the line is dropped.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would pick the Simplicity. Simplicity makes good machines. They are popular around here. It is a local company. They maintain their value very well. Their cut is the best in the industry. I have a customer who just purchased a Gravelly. He can not get it to cut even. He has had it back to the dealer several times.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Don't pay any attention to smalltimer1. He is all mouth and no facts. Gravely has been in business for over 50 years. Gravely/ ASriens is not "Fly By Night". Maybe some of their dealers are not the best, but all major manufacturers of ZTR's fight that battle.

8. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your input, although the opinions are varied they are true expereiences and that is what I was looking for. A last minute entry has come into play; Yazoo/Kees 48".

Does anyone have viewes on Yazoo/Kees that may be of use?

Thank you.

9. Smalltimer1

Simplicity has been around since 1922, FACT. Where are your FACTS?

Simplicity has been making riding mowers since 1939, FACT.

Gravely was still playing with push plows at that time. In FACT, they didn't even have a ride-on until 1958.

Please watch your MOUTH before you spout off.

10. Smalltimer1

The idea with the Simplicities is that they have a long series of flat rollers across the back of the deck, keeping it from scalping and also ensuring for a even cut and is a natural at striping, without the need for a kit depending on the type of grass. They are good mowers if you are looking to jump in.

My personal preference is JD, but Simplicity isn't that far behind on the list.

I have a 1965 AC Big Ten that was made by Simplicity and it is still going strong today. I use it almost every day.