Simplicity Pacer Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrg1, May 6, 2004.

1. jrg1

jrg1 LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on this mower? Its traded under the Derby name. Seems like a quality machine and it has rollers on it for striping w/ a 34" cut.

Anyone ever see or use one? Sells for 1999.00
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Give us a link.
  3. jrg1

jrg1 LawnSite Member

4. renard

renard LawnSite Member

I am looking at this one also. Anyone tried it out yet. Seems to be a good deal at 2000.00. My negoitiated with my guy a little and he is down to 1900.00. Really looking to get some feedback before I take the plunge. Big step from a 21 Sears job.
  5. jrg1

jrg1 LawnSite Member

Hey Renard, did you demo the Simplicity? I like the fact the striping kit is on it already
  6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, demoed one. Good drive system but the hydrostatic motors are NOT individually controlled. That means on sideways hills guess what you have to do to keep it straight......fight it. Motor not really strong enough (13 hp) to pulley a velke or sulky. You have to manually turn the mower at the end of a row. Also, the deck is pretty lightweight and flimsy. After talking to the dealer about it several times he offered to sell it to me at $1600, it also started out at 1999.00. Do yourself a favor and buy something that is going to last, go demo a Exmark metro. Wider cut, individually controlled wheels, and will stripe with no kit if you adjust the deck pitch correctly. AND, it's about the same price.
  7. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I am located in New England and when I found the Simplicity Pacer, I thought I had found a great solution to my search for a mower that would cut the ridiculous time I spend 2x a week behind my Honda Harmony Hydrostatic. (I don't have a tractor because I WANT the exercise AND I have slopes on 3 sides of the lawn).

I was a bit skeptical and expected:

1) A so so cut quality - since it was basically a lawn tractor deck remounted on a walk behind chasis.

2) A machine that could negotiate the banks pretty well since I had demoed it at the dealer on a smaller bank.

:( :( What I GOT:

1) A very good quality of cut. I rate it MUCH better than my Honda. It was particularly good condiering our grass here is still quite moist and I cut when it was about 4-5" long.
    I found the B+S engine VERY strong and it never hesitated at all - even when I ventured into my hay field!

2) Handling on the slopes was a wrestling match and I had an EXTREMELY hard time holding it from drifting on banks that were safe to mow sidehill. I also got to the bottom of slopes and got the machine stuck several times! The combination of moist Spring grass and inadequate traction caused me to BACK the machine back up the hill since I could not make ANy forward progress and there was not enough room to do anything else!!

I am EXTREMELY indebted to my local dealer, Rowell's Power Equipment (Lebanon, NH) for the chance to try before buying this machine!!

For anyone who DOES NOT HAVE MAJOR SLOPES to mow, this might be a very good choice. For a homeowner grade machine, it appears to be well built with many grease fittings, electric start, a large fuel tank, unique controls for the wheel drive, an electric PTO clutch for the blade, included mulching plate, etc.
    I do not know the track record for the B+S Intek 13HP on this unit but several have said that it has come a long way and is generally trouble free.

VT Grassman
  8. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

It looks very similar to the Ferris and Snapper. I believe Simplicity owns all of them now.
  9. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

Your right, that is basically the same as the 32" ferris and snapper.