1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Simplicity regent Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Oct 11, 2006.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

I posted this in the Homeowner forum but didn't get any responses

...I put down a deposit today for a 38" Simplicity regent w/ Bagger (the standard bagger).....I still have time to "upgrade" to the 44 inch deck but the rep wasn't sure how well the 44 would pick up without the "turbo" blower...even though simplicity says its ok.

They require on the "turbo blower" on all their other Tractors that have a deck of 44" and up.
    There is a $400 difference between the 38 " w 18 Hp Kohler and the 44" 22Hp B and S engine. I'm looking for someone's opinion to help me make the decision....so any feedback would be appreciated.

My other concern is that there is not much overhang past the tires on the 38" deck...is it hard to cut against cirbs or flower beds etc etc. The 44" gives you a few extra inches so you are not rubbing the tires all the time.

Should I stay put and buy the 38 with the 18Hp Kohler or pay the extra $400 for the 44inch deck and 22 HP B and S engine?

I mow about an acre...mostly flat, with several trees.

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, since no one else gave you any advice I'll try and help out. I have an older JD 111 and it has a 36in cut. I have a standard bagger for it, and it does a great job. However, it does clog up and then it is a pain to have to stop mowing, get off the mower, and unclog it whenever it clogs. I'd recommend the turbo to you, cause I know that's what I would buy if I got a new one. It would probably eliminate clogging. Hope this helps.
  3. shm

shm LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback on the Simplicity regent. I actually got a call direct from Simplicity from one of their tech repair guys (I had e-mailed them the same questions)....he said I should have no problem at all with the standard bagger ....assuming not really long grass and a million leaves....so for now I am ordering the 44 with the standard bagger....and I'll save up for the turbo next year. I couldn't get past the idea that I'd always be thinking I should have gotten the larger deck.
  4. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

get the turbo now or skip getting the bagger until next year....uncloging that puppy we be a major pita. You will have to wait until late afternoons to mow to ensure the grass is really dry