Simplicity Striping

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jlester97yo, May 13, 2006.

1. jlester97yo

jlester97yo LawnSite Member

I bought a Simplicity Javelin ZTR a couple of weeks ago. The mower does an awesome job giving a smooth cut and is much quieter than any mower I have ever used. I was really looking forward to the striping effect, but haven't had much luck so far. My lawn is a mix of fescue and bluegrass that is well fertilized and watered. You can kind of see the stripes, but nothing like I was expecting.

In the commercial forums here, I have read where the deck should be set slightly lower in the front for the best striping. My Javelin is set that way right now. When I read through the dealer setup manual, it says just the opposite though. It says the front of the deck should be 1/4" higher than the back. I assume so that the rollers on the deck fully contact the grass. Can any other Simplicity owners verify that? Any other tips?

2. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Assuming the roller is in contact with the ground, the striping will come. You may have to cut the same pattern a couple of times to "train" the grass, but after that, you darn near can't get rid of the stripes--erasing a pattern and trying something else can actually be somewhat problematic. Also, a higher mowing height helps. I cut with my Regent's deck at it's highest setting.
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my broadmoor leaves absolutly amazing stripes! many people have said how bold the stripes look.
  4. beran34

beran34 LawnSite Member

I have a simplicity colt with chains behind it that works great for me. I mow my yard real high at 4 and a half.It takes a couple times to get the stripe effect going abought 2 to 4 times. I hope this helps email with any ?s at
  5. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

what pattern r u using when u mow?
    this is vital to striping.
  6. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

How high are you mowing? Not you personally, I'm referring to the mowing height... in inches.
  7. jlester97yo

I am mowing at 3.5 inches right now. I am doing just a basic back and forth pattern. I am going to work through the deck leveling procedure in the next couple of days and see if that makes a difference.

8. dlh2

dlh2 LawnSite Member
    from Pace Fl

Yes, simplicity recommends setting up their decks 1/4" higher in the FRONT. I have the 44" simplicity deck and it is set up that way and cuts beautifully! When you adjust the deck be sure your tires are at the recommended pressure and find a nice level area of concrete to park on.
  9. jlester97yo

Thanks. This is the 44" cut as well.

10. jlester97yo

I figured out my problem. With lawn tractors, I have always ran my wheels on top of the previous pass to have enough overlap. That was messing up my stripes with the Z though. If I run my tires in the uncut grass immediately next to my previous pass, it stripes great.