Simplicity surprise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Aug 6, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A week ago I aquired a '95 Simplicity Broadmoor lawn tractor, hydrostatic, 14hp V twin with pressure filter lubrication, 38" floating deck and mulch kit. I hadn't used it much until today, but that is one fine little machine! Only thing I do not like is the hand hydro control (mounted on steering column). Turns very tight, steers easy, easy to make straight stripes, cuts and stripes as good as the 52" eXmark TTHP with roller and ProSlide. What a nice little machine. I'd never mowed with a Simplicity before really but have used countless other tractors of all brands and sizes, this is the best for mowing. I traded mowing services for it with intent to sell, but I may keep it to pull a trailer and put a snowplow on and maybe a bagger for leaves (to pickup the dust after mulching with eXmark). One odd thing about it is the deck has one small blade on left and one larger one on the right. I mean like 8" longer on the right than the left! Kind of odd but hey it works very well.
    The lack of true zero turning is inconvenient but it turns very tight anyway.
    If I get rid of it, I will miss it.
    If you need a lawn tractor versatility with commercial construction and performance, I strongly suggest you look at a Simplicity.

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Simplicity is what a guy uses to do ball parks with and wrote a book on striping.

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

David Mellor. Wrote book called Picture Perfect, I've read it. He uses the Simplicity on his home lawn but uses reel mowers at his work, ball diamonds.

4. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

My neighbor has a simplicity and loves it. It does quite a job, that I only assumed a commercial grade mower could produce.

5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Take a close look at how that plastic dash is mounted two the tractor. Mine and a lot of others at the dealer I go to have busted at the lower mounting corners of the dash. I had a 1718 H AGCO Allis. It had plenty of power and it stripes because of that roller on the back of the deck. I really hated mine. I didn't like the hydro drive. For a tractor like mower I would prefer a manuel transmission. I like having a clutch. But thats just me.
    It did mow five acres for five years before it gave up.
    Let see what else. Lots of flat tires,three starters in the first year.It was ok with the fourth starter for four years. One deck bearing. Averaged one new belt a year. Smoked a lot on start up after first year. Thats all I can remember for now.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

So, your a Simplicity expert now.;) Simplicity is not a commercial mower and is not warranted for commercial use. They are a homeowner mower.

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW dlcs.

The kid was just telling us a mower story.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, and I was just kidding with him. Did ya see the ;) ?

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I didn't say it was meant for commercial use. I said it is built well and cuts/stripes just as good as any commercial mower. No, I'm no expert on them LOL I just like the one I have enough to consider keeping it.
    No offense taken ;)

10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same Simplicity mower except 16hp. I used it commercially for about 5 years before buying my first Toro. It does cut great and stripes well. It also got a lot of flat tires. Finally, it threw a rod through the side of the engine. I sold it for parts.