Simplicity vs Cubcadet vs Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by listman100, Mar 31, 2005.

1. listman100

listman100 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Greetings everyone,

I have quite a dilemma, I'm in need of purchasing a riding mower and my wife wants to hold the purse strings closed. My yard is about 1/2 to 3/4 acre Bermudagrass with a few hills without any significant inclines. I like to keep my grass cut to a length of between 1.5" - 2" usually twice a week. The debate has been between the following mowers which can be purchased between $1100- $2200. I need an honest opinion on the differences in the following areas and more if you deem important:

1) Quality of cut (does a particular brand/model generally cut better, I heard that Simplicity gives the best cut)
    2) Dependability (which one is most reliable and more like to stay out of the shop)
    3) Longevity (which one is going to last 10+ years)
    4) Engine (is there a big difference between the Briggs and the Kohler)
    5) Floating deck with row of wheels in rear (Simplicity) vs. Hung deck and Anti-Scalp wheels (Cub Cadet and Husqvarna)
    6) Benefit of Rear pivoting transmission (Simplicity) don't know about the others.
    7) Hydrostatic automatic transmissions are they a good thing, does one company have a better implementation
    8) What is all the hype about the Snapper rear engine riders?

I primarily want a solid mower that I can be proud of without overspending for fluff. If you have other make/model recommendations let me know.

Regent 18 hp 38” deck with Briggs and Hydrostat transmission
    Husqvarna YTH1842 18 hp 42” deck with Briggs INTEK and Hydrostat transmission
    CubCadet LT 1042 19 hp 42” deck with Kohler® Courage and Hydrostat transmission
    Snapper Hi-Vac rear engine rider 11 hp 28" deck with Briggs

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/regent.php#
    http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10224_16208_-1
    http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node1520.asp?id=44837&intLanguageId=7
    http://snapper.com/hivac_rear.html

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

First of all do not get a rear engine rider. With the size of your yard it will take you a week to mow it. by the time you get done your you'll have to start all over. I think most people would agree when I say that kohler engines are superior to Briggs. Kohler just builds a better engine. The Kohler courage on the Cub is a residential engine that that just came out this year but its coming from a company that has gotten its experience from building heavy duty commercial grade engines. The Cub has some good features and is probibly built better than the others but they all 3 of them are good. I suggest you look at all 3 and demo all 3 of them if you can and get which ever one fits your needs and budget.

3. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

In that price range is a walk behind out of the question?
    I've had 33"-48" walkbehind and generally, you get lots of quality for price vs. riding mowers.
    You mentioned the cut hieght- WB's can handle that easily, but the decks dont float- rough terrain?
    Any good used deals in your area?

4. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

I've done LOTS of research on these same mowers....IMHO the rest out there are junk. I started with the Snapper RER as well, nice price, but small cut and short on features. The Cub was the second mower I concidered, it is nice, lots of good features, 13 guage steel deck. The Husqvarna seems to be the best built with the most features for the bucks. It just seems to have better fit and finish on the welds and the deck is 12 gauge which is thicker and less prone to flex. The Simplicity is WAY OVER PRICED for what you get. And they are almost twice as much as these others you have listed.

Personally, I think the Husqvarnas are the best mowers for the money, and the locals dealers (3 i've been too) where I live seem to have great attitudes about Huskys and are willing to talk discounts and trades. Two dealers really want my business.

BTW, while I was at the last dealer, the largest LCO in my area pulled up with their 30' enclosed trailer, filled with Husky push mowers, large walk behinds, and trimmers all Husqvarna. When I asked why they were at the dealer, they replied there Walker Standers ($7500) mowers needed serviced again!!! I asked how they liked the Husky gear, and they said they wished the Walkers were half as reliable as the Husky gear!!! They said they been through it all, and 3 years ago they switched to Husqvarna and haven't looked back!!!

I think Husqvarna, FOR THE MONEY is the best value and quality you can buy from what I've seen in the market.....almost all mower companies have merged in the last few years, MTD makes Cub and others, Briggs and Straton owns Snapper/Simplicity and others, and the parent company to Husky also makes Crapsman mowers.

But I think the Huskys are reliable, reasonably priced, lots of dealer support and from what i've read on these pages, their trimmers are top notch, and their mowers are reliable!!!

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Remember you can always attach a sulky to a walk behind (changing it to a stand behind), and you can ride around behind it.

ummmm to be honest i don't really like any of the proposed brands....but i'd probably go with the simplicity

6. Mr. Burns

Yes but once again you are doubling the original budget!!! A walk behind would be nice, but to get a decent quality one you have to spend over $2K and then buy the sulky as well. Simplicity is the same way, you spend well over $2,000 just to get in the game. There are good mowers out there with a lot of power that will last, with proper maintence, between 1300 and 1800 bucks. To me these represent the best value for the money, for homeowner use.

You have to remember, Homeowners have a home to pay for as well, we don't cut 50 lawns a week to support our mower habit!

In my opinion, the Cub or the Husky with the 24hp v-twin Briggs or Kohler are great machines with 10 gauge decks, 46 or 48" cuts, iron front axles and will last as long as the oil is changed and the wheels are greased.

Sure you could cut the lawn at a brisk pace behind a walk behind on a sulky, but you are also paying an extra 1000+ bucks so the nieghbors think you're cool while cutting your grass??!!??

Don't get me wrong....I personally love the Better Quick 36 at $1,999.00 with 15hp, but then it's the bag $350, and the sulky $250 and know I have over $2600 in a lawn mower. Sure it MIGHT last longer than a 46" Cub with 23 hp V-Twin, or the Husky 48" with 24hp, but if properly maintained, who is to say one would outlast the other????

I just seems to me, if they put a smaller engine and smaller deck, they should be cheaper than a much larger cut tractor with way more power....but I digress!!!

7. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

simplicity gives a quality cut!!

decks are very easily removed for servicing or cleaning.

i see it has a 'handy cup holder'..thats always a good selling point.. :)

8. listman100

from GA

What has been drawing me to the Simplicity is the advertised "improved" quality of cut the floating deck with the rear rollers provides. Does anyone have experience to support or disprove this claim? I’ve been considering the version with the 38” deck in order to prevent scalping and to increase mobility in my yard. Does anyone know if this mower will cut any better than a comparable Cub or Husky lawn tractor?

9. Mr. Burns

The Husky 2448 has a 24hp v-twin with a 10-gauge deck with front and rear rollers, 6 total I think, might be 5, and has hydrostat tranny and is quiet and smooth. 48" cut with a 10 gauge deck and 24hp with a 2 year warrenty for $1799.95, 2 of my dealers said they would haggle no problem and drop the price......waiting for tax money and might jump on one!!! I think I should be able to get it around $1600-1650. Personally, I think these represent the best values out their. The Cubs are nice too, but the dealer would not move on there price of $1799.95, and the Cub has a 13 gauge deck (more flex...not good) and 23hp. So it seems to me the Husky is the best deal for the money for basic uses.

10. listman100

from GA

I need to make a decision by Saturday morning. All the posts have been good thus far. I've slimmed my list down to the following:

Regent 18 hp 38” deck with Briggs and Hydrostat transmission
    Husqvarna YTH1842 18 hp 42” deck with Briggs INTEK and Hydrostat transmission
    CubCadet LT 1042 19 hp 42” deck with Kohler® Courage and Hydrostat transmission

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node15...intLanguageId=7
    http://www.simplicitymfg.com/regent.php#
    http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/..._10224_16208_-1

I'll be cutting Bermudagrass once or twice weekly. In order to make my decision I need a little more guidance on the following:

1) Quality of cut (does a particular brand/model generally cut better, I heard that Simplicity gives the best cut)

2) Dependability (which one is most reliable and more like to stay out of the shop)

3) Longevity (which one is going to last 10+ years)

4) Engine (is there a big difference between the Briggs and the Kohler)

5) Are there any known problems with either of the selections

6) Benefit of Rear pivoting transmission (Simplicity) don't know about the others.

Thanks for everyone's help.