Simplicity vs. Exmark

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lvrrman, Sep 19, 2004.

1. lvrrman

lvrrman LawnSite Member

I'm looking at purchasing a consumer Z for a 3 acre yard. The dealer I prefer to work with has Ariens, Simplicity, and Exmark models. I know the Exmark is in a "different class" but it's also a good $1200 to $1500 more. Models in question: Simplicity ZT2050, Ariens Zoom 2148, Exmark Lazer Z CT. Any thoughts on value for cost difference would be appreciated. Also... regarding the Exmark any comments on the 18 Kohler vs. the 19 Kawasaki appreciated.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I;d get the 19 Kaw Before i would get the 18 Kohler. Also the exmark has a lot better built deck and Superior cut Quality.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Take a good look in person at the frame on both of them and you will see how much stronger the exmark is. I don't know what your lawn looks like but a rought ride on a weak frame may end the mowers life much quicker then you think and then the savings may not look to good after all. I would upgrade if I were you from the ct to the hp better speed better seat better gas tanks you name it.
  4. vettenuts

vettenuts LawnSite Member

I am going through the same process right now. I also looked at Toro (residential) and Hustler yesterday. I looked at the Exmark Ct and the Simplicity. Simplicity has a end of year sale right now, and I am probably going to go with the Simplicity. The 44", which is what I want, is $3,895 and the Exmark is $5,000. I can't justify the extra expense, but this is for residential use only. Good luck with your decision, at least you have a couple of fine machines to choose from.
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Simplicity makes very good machines, especially for residential use. The Exmark would probably last forever with your use. I prefer Kawasaki engines.

Either machine would work fine it seems to me.
  6. lvrrman

lvrrman LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the thoughts. I decided on the Exmark CT 48" with the 19 Kaw. Would have gone with the 52" deck but there are a few areas where trees are planted close to the curb... 52" was uncomfortably tight now and would have gotten worse as the trunks grow. Good luck to the Simplicity guys, I think that certainly would have been an acceptable machine as well for residential use and with the difference in price... it was a tough choice. I had briefly looked at a Hustler (one of you mentioned that) but I've read some not so great things about the Honda engine.
  7. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

F.Y.I. I found out about this place after I bought my Exmark. I believe it's located near you. Decent prices and knowledgeable salesman (I think his name is Al).

Passmore Service Center
    1108 Route 100
    Bechtelsville, PA 19505
    (610) 367-9084
  8. lvrrman

lvrrman LawnSite Member

GripB, thanks, that's where I purchased it from. Highly recommended by a friend and I agree, people there were extremely helpful and willing to spend the time to make sure I got my questions answered and was happy with what I was buying.
  9. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Small world, huh!?
    Good luck with the CT. I'm VERY satisfied with my Exmark decision.