simplicty vs exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by runningdeer, Sep 22, 2006.

1. runningdeer

runningdeer LawnSite Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I would appreciate the pros' opinions. I am basically a residential mower. I do cut 3-4 yards all about 1 acre each...with a push mower. I'm looking to save some time and energy with archery season coming up. I will be sucking up lots of oak leaves too once the fall is upon us. I want a ZT and have narrowed it down to the simplicity champion and the exmak phazer. I can get a Toro Z480 with vac bagger for $3000. What do y'all think is my best option. THANKS THIS FORUM IS GREAT. I JUST JOINED YESTERDAY!
  2. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

They are both good mowers. One thing I like about the Simplicity is the factory installed striping roller on all mowers. With exmark you can only get one on a 52 or larger, unless you go with a w/b and buy an aftermarket roller from someone like Big League. Price is also a consideration. Demo both and see which fits your bill.
  3. runningdeer

thanks for your input. I was just at our local Hustler dealer and he said he'd sell me a Mini Fastrak 42" for $3200 +$550 for the bagger. This is cheaper than the ewmark and the simplicity by close to $1000. It seems to be very well built with a 3 year warranty. What do y'all think? Thanks!
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Hustler fastrak's are very nice machines. I would recommend spepping up to the 44" cut Fastrak. It's not the mini. Inot really familiar with the details of them but I know it has some improvements over the mini like bigger engines and better hydro's. The simplicitys are also nice mowers as well with the suspension. I would recommend getting which ever machine you feel the most comfortable with.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

I swaer by simplicity, but the fact is that they don't have a long warranty in the commercial end. They are great and work like dogs, they'll take your best shot and ask for more. If you want to mow everyday all day for years, get the hustler, but for 25 or less lawns a week, the simplicity will work for 10 years. my grandfather has a simplicity over 36 years old and the hour meter that was installed 10 years ago reads 4000 hours, now times that by three and you get 12000 hours, the engine was replaced once and the transaxle is the same. They leave a great cut and have a comfortable ride.

here is a thread with pictures of a lawn from my 2006 simplicity broadmoor.
  6. runningdeer

Thanks guys for all of the input. My father has a simplicity that's 22 years old and still cuts like a dream. The dealer said it was the worst sell he's ever made because it hasn't been back for anything other than new tires and a belt or two. :) Not sure what the price is if I step up to the Hustler 44" I guess I'll check it out tomorrow. This is a big investment for me so I want to make sure I do the right thing.