Simplify? Random thaughts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Mar 26, 2005.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I going solo this season. I have 90+ mostly full service accounts.(Tight route)

I have been thinking/wondering about just running one mower with small trailer or even ramp to back of truck. I currently have 16' enclosed with 72,48 ZRT and 52 WB. It is becoming a chore to keep up with all the hand held peices and the mowers and the F350 with dump bed pulling the trailer used alot in fuel.

Any input appreciated.

2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I've found the best truck for mowing is a normal pickup, over dump beds. We have both. With 90 accounts, i'd want all my stuff with me, and unloading a mower from the back of a truck so many times seems like too much of a chore. 90 accounts should be able to compensate the fuel though rite? How many people are working with you. If your by yourself, i'd want two mowers incase one breaks, and you don't want to go back to the shop (and use more fuel to get there).
    As far as keeping the hand held pieces together being a chore, I don't know how you'd avoid this. At work, we need the trimmers, a blower, and rakes/shovels with us, we just keep them in the back of the pickup.
    If fuel is becoming a major problem, i'd consider an extra fuel charge percent on the monthly bill, as many people are considering.

Good luck, 90 accounts sounds good! payup payup

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would say get a pick up truck to pull the trailer instead of the dump. I pull a 16 ft open trailer with all of my mowers,trimmers,blowers, and whatever gas cans that i need. Last year I was able to go almost two weeks in between gas fill ups on the truck. I was getting about 350 to 400 miles to the tank of gas. Using the truck and mower method will get old taking it in and out of the truck. And like was mentioned before what about a break down. Going to be a lot harder to get it back up in the truck then in a trailer.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

To much big equipment to be hauling around! Leave a couple mowers at the shop and get a small trailer and a F150 with 6 cylinder. We are falling back to a 89 chev with 350V8 that gets 12mpg versus our 97 Ford that gets 7mpg. We are not hauling backup equipment and we are using the smallest engines in our fleet...i.e. 25hp Scag Cougar is off the trailer and 19HP Tiger going. Customers don't want to hear a surcharge they told us they are fed up with everybody hitting them up. We got a WB blower to reduce the use of BP and 2 cycle oil. We are using our older backup trimmers because they get better MPG then the new stuff. This is a bad situation.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

well said

just curious, what kind of pickup truck?

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

1994 chevy c/1500. Works fine and like I said almost 2 weeks before I need to get gas.