1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Simplify This!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Courtesy, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Courtesy

Courtesy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

First, I've searched the site. Great info, but nothing specific or organized to what I'm looking to do.

I am expanding from a part-time unorganized business into a legit full-service outfit. Mow,beds,trees,fert.,pesticides,lighting, employees etc. I need some software that will help me streamline my paperwork trail. What is a good setup thats not so complex. Also,it seems someone should have a plan outline of steps to get our type of business running smoothly.

I'm looking for the OVERALL picture and stucture of this business.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

:eek: a one answer stop? Things are too complicated to fit it all in one thread. If things were that ez there wouldn't even be a lawnsite.com at all. As for the software take a look at Gopher. There are several out there to look at and everyone has their preferences. If you want a basic instruction manual on how to set up the business take a look at ISBN 1551806053 good for a beginner and at the price its a little hard to beat. There is also the lawncare success kits (admittedly I haven't bought on of those but they are a sponsor) You must learn patience. Just what is it that you are looking for specifically. The info you will get that way will be much more in-depth than any other way. BTW welcome to the site.
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

First step, master one thing before trying to do everything. Small companies do not have the resources to do everything well right off the bat. If you do then by all means spend your money and franchsie they will be more than happy to give you all the training, support, etc. That took most of us years to learn and are still learning.
  4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should do what u know the best. Mowing or whatever. If a customer ask you to do something else than look at it and ask yourself are we capable of doing this. Don't hire employees right off the bat unless you can warant the extra help w/ business amount and what you can pay. Don't add someone just because it will make your days easier. If u can work 45 hrs. by yourself or hire someone and get done in 30 hrs. don't make sense. Above all Running a multple crew biz either 1- takes a special nak that u prob learned as u grew up ....or 2- have been trained in business and or management. Grow your biz steady AND smart. Software.my $.02. I use Quickbooks for accounting and found through lots of trial CD'S QXpress was very easy to use. (Gopher wasn't for me). I also waited 3 yrs. to buy software other than Q.books because of $$$$ My paperwork took longer but I am very organized and now I can warrant it.
  5. Courtesy

Courtesy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I just realized that I never said Thank You to the responders of my post. Thank you for the information. I've started using Gopher and it works ok. A little confusing, but it sure helps with scheduling.
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I like Quickbooks, but it also took a while to get used to.
  7. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

I use clip software for my scheduling. I think it works great for lawn service. It integrates directly with quickbooks. clip keeps track of all the jobs i've done and then sends them over to quickbooks for month end billing. Its all pretty seamless.
  8. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Start with some business classes/courses. Quickbooks pro has been a part of our business for a very long time.
  9. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

quicken works great
  10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Quickbooks is definitely the way to go