"since i moved to new jersey.....it seems..."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 27, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i signed this female client about 2 weeks ago. WOW, it was like pulling teeth to get a deposit out of her. i fought extra hard on this one, because i have 2 clients around the corner that will have to be dumped, if i don't add a couple more in that neighborhood. so, anyhow......she called for leaf cleanup. i quoted her $425, just blowing them to the curbside for township pickup. she goes, "WHAT!!!!!! that's crazy." it seems, she had a guy quote her $200 to clean, AND REMOVE the leaves. so we start talking. she called TEN FREAKIN other companies. only five returned her call. she shows me quotes from 5 other "reputable" services in the area. they are anywhere from $150-$275. we start talking, she's gonna need someone to do everything = full property maint + snow removel. i told her, to call all these guys back, and ask for proof of insurence, as well as pesticide permits, so they can accomodate her entirely next season. the result was- out of the five, 3 were not insured, and working as a side job. out of the remaining two, both were insured, but not carrying pesticide permits, but agreed to do the pests on a "hush hush" basis. i simply pointed out to her, that with 2 young kids and a dog, having an unlicensed individual applying POISON on her property, was not a wise move. ok, so we're on. i ask for a deposit, half down. no, she refuses. she won't give me half down, until half the work is done. i tell her, ok, count all the leaves, divide them in half, and i'll do half the job:dizzy: . i explain that, our policies must be respected, period. i want half down, or she can have the hackers do it. we go back and forth, finally she almost breaks down to tears. seems she recently moved here from maine. recently divorced, with 2 young children. she said, "i don't mean to be so untrusting, but it seems that since i moved to jersey, there is someone on every corner looking to rip me off." i felt bad, really, i did. i still wanted my deposit though. i explained to her that, running off with $212.50 of her money, would not make me rich, and my conciounce wouldn't allow it ;) . well, it has a happy ending. i got my deposit, and a contract for next season. and i assured her, "nobody from my company will rip you off...don't worry sweetheart, you are in good hands with bobbygedd." one of these days....i gotta get out there and start the job. this is my story of the day. this is one case (and they are few and far between) where the proof of insurence and proper licensing made a difference. btw, she's hot, single, and vulnerable. by april, after 4 months of heavy weight lifting, i will have shed these unsightly extra pounds, and look like a greek god once again. i see good things happening

2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

why is it with every post invovled the heart is always close by WHY GOD DAMN YOU

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Behave yourself or I see ya in front of a judge...

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

lucky dog now stay off her leg

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby is starting to remind me of Vic, the cop from the hit show The Shield......you need to watch it to understand, those that have seen it will relate........just shave your head BG!!!!!

6. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

yep, thats funny, never thought of that, but now I see it. BTW love the shield, great show.