1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

since u didnt show up, we hired someone else

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 3, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good grief! well, a while back i made a thread about this old couple who tried to pay me like 5 times for one cut(old age...) all in one day. well, last week while frantically trying to catch up on our lawns, we pull up to thier house. we start to unload, and the husband comes out, "you were just here yesterday". im like, wtf? the grass is 8 inches tall. then the wife comes out, "why are u here again? u were just here yesterday." well, i wasnt in the mood for no ****, old folks or not. so, without saying a word, we got back in the truck and left. so, the messege i get two days later;" hi bob, this is mrs. so n so, since u never showed up to cut our lawn, we had to get someone else." man, i cant wait to get old, they are really nice people, hope the new guy dont screw them.
  2. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a bad day at the office, Bobby. Don't days like that make you look forward to getting old? Not.
  3. Pretty funny, LOL.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just had a discussion tonight with a local nurseryman about how we as lawn care professionals have to put up with so much stress and **** from customers. You just proved my point
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Either I'm getting old (which is probably true) or it just seems this way, this year I've heard more complaints and had more stress than any other year. A record amount of rain in June (old record dates back to 1902) didn't help matters at all trying to keep up with the mowing. And I have had problems with customers I've never heard a peep from before...must be something in the water, LOL.

All I know is that I hope it stops (real soon) too.
  6. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I too am experiencing extreme stress from bad weather and customers.

The grass is growing so fast that I cannot keep up. Trying to hire help but no one wants to work. Hourly help walks around getting drinks and gas, but no work. So I have been working alone, less stress from help, but more from the workload of the day.

Weeks behind on landscaping projects and customers are upset about that. Haven't started spraying, yet so weeds and kudzu is rampant.

Been in business since 1991 and never had a year like this. Usually can stay on a schedule daily and get it done, quit by 6:00 pm and take Saturday off. This year working like a dog from daylight to 9:00 pm six days a week and showing less money.

What's the problem?
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I used to have customers like that, they've passed away. I put up with the confusion, mainly because, as you mention, I did not want someone else screwing them.

Now another of my long-time customers is starting to approach that stage in life. It is sad, but inevitable.

What really frosts me about customers like this is the children. Twice in the past, when my customer passed away, the kids showed up with the attitude "We're in charge now, so you have to do everything for less money", or I showed up and some other company was taking care of the property. This is after years (10+) of taking care of these people, and NEVER so much as charging them for an extra 15 minutes, and doing countless extras at no charge.

Oh well, I gotta go to the 4th of July parade!
  8. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't had to deal with anyone seriously alzhiemered out yet, but do have a lot of old ones. Oldest is 89! They moved Mrs Clifton to a nursing home in another state when she started having strokes, she was 81. The youngsters that moved in have been mowing the fescue in the front yard at 1"! Looking quite brown. Knocked on the door yesterday to suggest mowing at 3" like I have been doing for 3 years and also requested that they not mow over the property line into the neighbor's yard - we don't want them to kill the grass there. They are also leaving clippings all over the street and the neighbor's driveway. I too used to think there was nothing you needed to know about mowing the lawn.

Many people seem to stay quite sharp all the way to the end of their lengthy lives (even if they may have trouble walking). And some don't......
  9. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I think that I may try out the "old people" routine in other areas of my life.... example:

Walk up to the register at the grocery store, place groceries on counter. When Checker says "that'll be $43.28" I'll say, "Gee, that's awfully high, would you take $35.00?"

When I go to have my brakes replaced at the auto shop, I'll walk up while they're working on my truck and ask "Is the transmission overhaul included with that?"

Next time the guy comes to paint the house I'll ask "While you're here, could you clean the kitchen as well? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes...."

Why, back in my day.......