1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Since we're on the topic "Leaf-Vac"...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Oct 6, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

What's a good small WB leaf-vac (chipper combo?)?

I've seen some MTD's for abour $500. I'm NOT interested in a large model, I usually work alone or with 1 helper and rake/bag by hand - smaller yards.
  2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Does ANYONE reccomend using a BillyGoat type lawn Vaccuum walk behind for doing leaves? Yeah, you'd be dumping the bag, but how do they work?

Are they worth the $500 for the MTD or the $800 for the Billy Goat?

Or is it better to just mulch and mulch using my 32" exmark metro with mulching baffles, hilift on the bottom, gator magnums on top?

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Uhhh, many moons ago, when I was a bit younger and nieve, and working completely solo, I bought the MTD ... thinking it was going to be a good idea and investment.
    Well I finally got rid of it to my Girlfriends cousin last year after having sat in storage for a long time. Just washed it, changed the oil for him and he had a brand new leaf vac (maybe 30 hours on it) for half of what I had paid.
    Lesson learned !!!
  5. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

If not leaf-vac then what?

I have a 32" Scag WB, can (or should) I use a different blade set-up w/catcher or what?
  6. I use the billy goat, they are indestructable. Just work solo on small lawns. If you look at the BG and compare to MTD you will see why its worth extra $. BG makes a model with branch chipper-I dont have that.
  7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

A1 grass why not add a bagger to your mower for your leaf collector.
    1) less expensive
    2) no other equipment to maintain
    3) it also cuts the grass while picking up leaves, I will say that the BG will do a better job of vacuuming the leaves though
    4) from what I have heard the leaf vacs are a bit slow,

With double blades you will tend to have more blowout, from the front of the deck. Some have created anti-blowout baffles-use the search feature- to help minimize blowout.
  8. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I had a Trak-vac collection system on my 48" walkbehind. It includes it's own motor, blower, and barrel for collecting the ground up leaves. It worked well but don't know if it will fit a 32". You can check out their site. Should go for around $1300, or did last time I looked.