1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Since we're showing off new babies....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Mowerdude, Oct 21, 2002.

1. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I thought that since we're all showing off our new toys, I'd show mine.

I got it. In the thread:

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34195&highlight=great+dane

I talked about getting this machine and why I was making the change. So I got the machine last week and just in time for leaf season here in Tennessee. So far I've got 5 hours on it and all I can say is that this thing is SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

As you can see, it has the Bac-Vac, and the Donelson Filter. It also has the Kawasaki 25 as I've made myself a solemn promise NEVER to buy another Kohler product again as long as I live. And that includes faucets. Read the above thread and you'll see why. Anyway, I'm tickled with this machine and it looks like we're going to have a long and happy life together.

newhus1mod.jpg

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That looks like a great setup. Thanks for sharing.

Gravely_Man

3. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I couldnt tell if that was the 60 inch deck? what size trailer do you use to transport that thing? It looks awesome.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

nice,

how much did it set you back?

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice set-up!!!

Congrats!!!

let us know how it performs...

6. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

now THAT'S a new baby!:)

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you've said that you get a larger load in the bac vac than the peco, correct? How does the mower cut without the vac on?

8. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, let me answer these questions one at a time.

It's a 60 inch deck and with my vac-blower in place, it just squeezes onto my trailer like a hand in a glove. The inside demension of my trailer is 76".

"How much did it set me back?" The retail on this machine is around $9000 with the Bac-Vac being another $3000. For many years, one of the burrs under my saddle has been that none of the equipment dealers in this town will "sharpen" their pencils. Everyone insists on full retail prices. I bought this Hustler from Tieco here in Nashville, and for the first time since I've been in business, I got a good discount. I'm sure it helps that I've bought other equipment from them as well, but per our agreement, I'm not going to say how much of a discount it was. I'm extremely happy with this machine and with Tieco and with Bruce, the salesman.

"Larger load with this machine than the Peco?" You must've read that on the other forum. But yes, I said over there that Peco bushels and Hustler bushels must be different sizes with Hustler bushels being way bigger. Peco claims 12 bushels while Hustler claims 9. All I can say is that I'm getting loads of material out of this thing that Pecos can only dream about.

"How does the machine cut without the vac on?" I started out with Scags years ago and then I went to the Chariots. All of those machines gave me a cut that I was proud of. I didn't think that they could really be improved upon. But this Hustler has proven me wrong. It not only cuts better, but cuts it faster. It has a top speed of around 17mph. We paced it with the truck. It really rocks. One of my customers is a baseball coach. I'm going to get with him and use his radar gun to find out for sure.

This mower will NOT cut cleanly at top speed, but it does cut cleanly way faster than any mower I've ever personally been on. I'm going to get together with Crazygator, one of these days, and compare it with his Dixie. It's clearly WAY superior to my Chariots in both quality and speed. The way I like to describe it is this: This mower will cut just as fast as the yard will let it. So each owner will have to judge for himself based on knowledge and experience with each yard.

9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Since this is your "New Baby"...is it a boy or a girl?
    Great looking unit!

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm likin those more and more. Next year might just be the year. That is a great set up and I know I have a use for it in an expanding lawn service.

Looks Great!!