1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

since you already have a truck and trailer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, Jun 9, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

i was just wondering,pretty much everyone in this business has a truck and trailer,right?well,how many of you still profit of it during the "off-season" by hauling stuff for people.For example if they buy a sofa and chair from a company in town,and that company charges a $100 fee to deliver the sofa and recliner or whatever,why don't you say,"hey,ive got a trailer,I'll do it for $75".You're saving the customer some money and making money for yourself.Whats the problem with that?just wondering,anyhow,advice/tips/comments/question/ and derrogatory(sp) remarks about my mother are welcome:)
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

.....why not start a lawn business? That seems to be the theme around here!

Sorry, that was not really about the topic but that is the first thing I thought of when I read the title. :D
  3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect rules & regs vary from state to state (for that matter, I ain't even from the same country as you! ;) ) but I would check out the rules governing hauling "for hire" first.

To the best of my knowledge, carrying your own equipment as required to do your job is a different set of rules from hauling someone else's freight for a fee. In essence, you're required to play by the same rules as the trucking companies. (And there are lots of rules - I drove the big 'uns for a few years before deciding it wasn't for me!) Your insurance coverage may not include freight hauling.

I don't want to sound negative by posting this, just don't want to see anyone get in trouble with the DOT! About 10 years ago, not knowing any better I leaped at the opportunity to use my truck & trailer for a hauling job and ended up having to pay a couple of fines :confused: . The total $ for them, as I recall, was about the same as what the job made me................. :(

To repeat: I don't know what the rules/regs are in your area, just check things out first!
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Off season? What is that??:confused:
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I Drop the insurance and let it sit in the cold for the winter. It serves as a back-up if my auto should fall into disrepair.

If you can make extra money haulng mdse. for people that is fine. What happens when they want mdse. shuttled while lawn season is in full swing?

Now for some derogatory comments:

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

In most states you must be licensed and insured to do any commercial hauling.
    I myself am, I occasionaly will haul specialty pieces on my trailer.
    I keep this to a minimum because I do not want it interfering with my main business.
    Make sure you are properly insured for anything that may happen while you are hauling, or while it is in your possesion.
    Most insurance agents can insure you on a per item basis as needed.
    Perfect example: Just this week I hauled a 1888 Silsby horse drawn fire steamer, the value of this antique is over 100,000.00, I purchased insurance and added it to the cost of the job.
    Cost to move this unit to a show and back (about 8 miles of driving total) was 480.00, insurance alone cost me 210.00
    I haul this unit yearly to this one show for this customer, and he is happy to pay.
    Here are a couple pics of the unit I hauled.

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think there's a guy on a trucking site saying "since I have a truck and trailer, maybe I could cut lawns for 75% of what the lawn pros are cahrging"?
  8. mowerconsultant, that thing is beautiful. how do you get it up onto your trailer? only time i will move stuff for people on my trailer will be a mower that i have to take to a repair shop, or something really small, and if i do that 2x a year ever that is a lot. um last night however a friend of my family had a boat that they needed moved. so we hitched their trailer up to my truck and dropped it at the lake. no money exchanged hands.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Luckily....getting out of both buildings there was ramps, so I backed the trailer up the ramp a bit and let the ramps down....We had to use his custom made guide ramps, that steamer wieghs 6000 pounds, better to wreck his ramps rater than my gates......lol..
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

mower consultant, I bet the big truck guys are calling you a scrub as they drive by you in their big rigs. If you check out the trucking sites you will find a picture of your "bicycle" pickup truck and trailer there. haha