Single Belt Drive or Double?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Infinite, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

Is there a huge difference between the two? I know that a double belt drive has two belts running the mower compared to one, but what does this affect? I am thinking about getting the 48 inch single belt drive Exmark Metro which is 2699, but I could go out and get a Bobcat Double Belt Drive 48 inch for 2600 and the same amount of horses. Which would you do?

2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Exmark Metro 36" has two belts. Trust me I have one. All Exmark belt drives have dual belts. If there is a commercial walk behind mower out there with only one belt Ive never seen it.

3. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

Well these are the prices I got from the dealer.

Metro-HP Double Belt Drive 15 hp Kaw 3899
    Single Belt Drive 48 Inch Metro-15 hp Kaw-2999, Kohler-2699-2 year warranty

4. Lawn Dog2001

I also have a Metro HP 48". It uses the same drive system as the regular Metro. There are two belts one for each wheel. Exmark does not make a single belt driven machine. Either you misunderstood your dealer. Or he has no idea what hes talking about.

5. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I must have misunderstood my dealer, but whats the difference between this mower thats over a 900 more than the other 48 inch Kaw 15hp and the others?

Metro-HP Double Belt Drive 15 hp Kaw 3899

6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

all metros have double belts except the 32 inch ,thats the only one that is single belt

7. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

Metro HP has a floating deck. The 48 inch may be the metro with a fixed deck.

8. Lawn Dog2001

The Metro HP has a floating deck. That means you will be able to adjust the height of the machine using four pins. On the regular Metro you can only tilt the front of the machine up or down using washers. Plus the floating deck prevents the scalping of lawns by moving up and down on uneven terrain. I know its a lot of extra money, but the floating deck HP is really a much nicer mower.

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Now you can see one. Go to www.bobcatturf.com/products/walk-behind/classic/index.html Look at the picture then click on specifications. Drive belt---Single A Reinforced.

10. Lawn Dog2001

I honestly have never seen one of those before. How well does it work? Are both of the wheels on an axle driven by the one belt?