Single Employee/Worker's Vacation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, it's late. I'll make this quick. My worker is getting married in July. Then taking the following week off. I also have to take that Fri. night and Sat. to be in the wedding.

How would you handle this situation? How would you handle more than twice the hrs. you normally work?

Oh ya, I also have my sister, close friend, and sister in laws wedding that are a must attend this summer. Why arn't weddings at 8:00 pm? This 1-2:30 is for the birds!

:drinkup: Good night.

2. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Good luck figuring this one out!!!! Hang in there, and just have fun!:D

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Start making arrangements now for some help. Are there any friends or relatives that can help you out? I had to work the day after my wedding in October, and we waited until January for the honeymoon. These are things that come with being self-employed:dizzy: Mike

4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Hey phish, I work solo and got married two years ago in October and took a one week honeymoon afterward. What I did was tell everyone in March that I planned on taking that week off and there would be no service that week (no one I trusted was available to take over). Since it was late Oct., the grass was growing slowly and the leaves had just started to turn color it was a great time to skip a week. We wanted to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon so we waited until January for the two week trip, but still took the week in Oct to go to Florida.
    You should let everyone know that there will be no service for that week, but if that is not acceptable to them have them let you know and put that customer on the list of the ones you will do that week. You should be able to do at least half of your customers alone. Most won't care if you miss that week as long as you let them know well in advance and keep reminding them. You might even be able to kick some butt and do it all yourself. You might surprise yourself. Good luck with that, I feel your pain, but it's easy to deal with.

The moist green organic that my feet tread upon...

yeah, lawnboy has a "double meaning" hee hee hee

(think Chandler Bing) "Can there beeee any more nitrous in Philly?"

5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Just hire some help!

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

What do you mean that you want to have a life outside of work? Just kidding. I would let everyone know well in advance of the dates that you will not be able to service his or her properties and in the case of your helper being out I would got to a temp agency. Customers understand if you give them notice but you can't take advantage of them or they will work elsewhere.

Gravely_Man

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Better pray it doesn't rain a lot prior to that weekend or you'll be up the creek:cry: :cry: :cry:

8. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Not exactly the same but it might help some. When the 4th of July falls on a Tues or Thurs we work 14+ hour days to get the work done in the 3 other days (Mon, Tues, & Wed for Thurs & Fri off) This may help with your time off, not your workers. We just send a note with the previous months bill that all work scheduled for the week of July 4th will be completed by the 3rd and then we will return to a regular schedule the following week.

Nobody seems to mind.

Just hope for good weather.