1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Single-family homes with kids: avoid or no?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mark McC, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you try to avoid marketing/advertising to families with kids, especially kids that are old enough to mow?
  2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

When I used to mow residentials, I would bet that 60% of my customers had a teen in the house.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like Discovery said, 60% and teens in the house. Man got to love the Exbox or PS2.LOL :dizzy:
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I think times are really changing. As a casual observer and out of my customers with teens none are jumping up and down shouting "can I do the lawn daddy, can I!!" Seems in this hustel bustle of a world all the 'teens' have other commitments...whether it would be sports, college, after school activities...and like above play station and all the other video stuff out their.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be afraid. I don't see many...if any...teens mowing lawns...but then again the lawns I target would take 1/2 day with a 21" push mower.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I mow many a lawn that has a teenage kid in the house. 99% of them are too lazy to mow... But they sure are energetic enough to play sports or hop on a skate board in the heat... I think the parent's know what it would look like and in a few years once said teen was gone to college they would once again have to find a lco.
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I would market to them. I have seen very few teens pushing/riding a mower. The northern Virginia/metro area has become much more service oriented in the past few years. Especially in new subdivisions. People just don't want to do that kind of work or subject their kids to it.
  7. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Well while I was in highschool I took care of the lawn but once I got into my new biz I no longer had the time to take care of it. I did not want my mom to have to worry about it so I hired an lco to take care of it for me. It is not that I would not do it if I had the time but I am so busy running the mulch blowing co. I just don't have the time. So I would say it is a good market to advertise to that is how I found my lco. Now though I have a company from lawnsite doing it!!!! Networking forum if you have not been there check it out!!!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I can only recall one customer cancelling when his son got old enough to reach the handlebars of the ol' Craftsman. When you think about it Mark, families tend to have less time than couples with no kids. A lot of them don't want to waste their precious free time on the lawn over the weekend.
  9. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

EVERYONE is a customer IMO. Unless they live in a condo. ;)
  10. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I service a very wealthy area. Not many kids around here know what amnual labor is. Anyone that has grass that can be mowed is a potential customer.