Single Hydro or Belt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adam3669, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

So which would you go with (36") residential yards.
    Single Hydro or belt driven?

2. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

depends on if you plan on running a velke. you cant put them on the single hydros but you can on the belt drives. ferris's 36" floating deck hydro w/17kaw is only 200 more than their 36 belt fixed deck.

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Single hydro's are good if you are in tight areas where you have to back up alot. They are terrible on trying to hold a hill. Belts are better on hills and if you are putting on a velke the belt is the way to go. Pros and cons to both. You might try to demo each to see what works for you.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Toro t-bar all the way! Belt drive price, hydro productivity, great with a velke.

5. bearcatlawn

bearcatlawn LawnSite Member

hydro- not even close. Spend the extra money now and you won't be disappointed.

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Funny, I swear I purchased a Q36 (single-hydro) last year, with a step-saver ("velke") and the darn thing runs fine with the "velke" on, across the flats, up hills, down hills, around corners, sideways...imagine?

James

7. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

You can run a single hydro on a sulky, I have done it.

8. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How does it work? Does the velke do the steering? Where did you get yours? Pic?

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Ferris SD36 has neither a floating deck or a 17 HP Kawasaki. It has a fixed deck with the coolest and easiest adjustment system available on a walkbehind. You turn a crank and the deck goes up and down and stops where-ever you want it to. The only engine available is the 13 HP Kawasaki KAI. It leaves the best cut on a lawn of any mower I have ever used and I had a 36" Exmark before I bought the Ferris.

It is absolutely the worst mower on hills that I have ever had the displeasure of using. The front end pops up extremely easily and it is a ***** to control going sideways on hills.

Don't even consider trying to use any kind of sulky behind this mower, it won't work.

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same machine and have to agree on both the cut quality and the sidehilling issue. That is what I thought about the sulky as well, but I was hoping that somebody would show me a way.