1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

single hydro walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hawkeye, Apr 18, 2008.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

Is Better Outdoor Products the only company to use a single hydro on a walk behind? Advantages or disadvantages
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris uses one. Advantages its cheap mower disavantages you muscle the machines alot.
  3. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

does the single hydro do true 180's?
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It will do anything you are capable of doing.....you are the one providing the torque to turn it.
  5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I helped a friend off mine finish up his route one day after his helper bailed because his wife was going into labor. I used his Ferris 32 and found that it's a good mower on yards without a lot of slope. Steep inclines are another matter. I prefer my TTHP for those.
  6. stbentoak

stbentoak LawnSite Member

I have just started using my quick 32 and I can tell you some good things and some bad things.

Good things....

Runs great (KAI 16 HP)
    Built like a tank
    Cuts great
    Can't stop or bog it....
    People want to know "What the heck is that thing and where did you get it?
    Knocks the heck out of the mow time I spent with a 21" mower... one of the main reasons I bought it (and still fits thru the gates I need it to..)
    You know it ain't gonna let you down like the last POS I had (Honda Hydro21)

Bad things (SO far observed)

If you are not ready to handle this thing, it will kick your a$$
    Plan on having a sore back after the 1st few times using it till you get the technique down.
    Hand grips slip off in about 20 min... You'd think they would have fixed this by now....
    On side slopes see observation #1 above....
    You better have the thumb of a WWF wrestler to use the reverse and get it to move faster than a snails pace in reverse.
    Better watch your grip on the the go trigger when you turn a corner or you will run it up a tree.
    You pretty much have to muscle it to get it where you want it to go directionally..

But all in all it is a great machine so far and with proper care it should last forever to do what I want with it....Over all I am happy with it and soon I will be in the best shape of my life ! :laugh:
  7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Quick 36" and it's a good machine !!
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

-- Yes, you can bog it down ... thick wet grass about 2 feet high
    -- My hand grips came off at 20 hours.
    -- Your thumb will get use to it after a while and then you don't notice it.
    -- You do have to muscle it a little, however, don't you need some exercise ??