Single or Double Axle.....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bill1500, Mar 27, 2013.

1. bp lawn

bp lawn LawnSite Member

What are you towing with?
    I have 6x10 single, 6x14 single, and
    16ft tandem. For just mowing I like the singles better. But you need enough truck to stop them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever size you think you need, get two feet longer. So if you're leaning towards one of the biggest single axle trailers you can get, you should probably just go with the double.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

3. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I have a single I'd rather a tandem

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Just purchased our second 6x10 single. Love the singles. All our properties are under 1/4 acre. We run each trailer with a 50" to 52" Z and a 36" walk behind or 21". You can see in my profile how we have them set-up. We run no more than 2 guys per truck.

I think it really depends on the kind of properties you will service, the services you will offer, the equipment you will use and the area.

In our case it makes no sense to have the extra maintenance cost with tandem axles. Some of the cul-de-sacs are so tight you'd be scrubbing off tires quickly .

A couple of years ago I went in and had them start on a custom tandem trailer with all the bells and whistles. I am so glad I cancelled it because I didn't need it I only wanted it.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

With the size you selected tandem is mandatory. Single and you are flirting with the standard 3500lb axle limits. Tandems tow better. Singles have to be balanced so they tow acceptably without straining the coupling or overloading the tongue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Greg78

Or he could do like Mike did and have 5200 lb axle put in place of the 3500 lb.

But I agree with you on in that size a tandem is almost a must. I think the longer the trailer is the harder it becomes to get a good balance with single axle.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Tandem - but you get into the DOT regs be prepared for that. Also be ready to replace tires more often.
    But being able to haul more is mighty fine and worth it.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see 5200's as the standard on anything 12 ft and up. By the time you load a Z, a wb, a 21", all the sticks and ancillary gear you are probably over whatever you had left of the 3500 rating.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Greg78

On our most loaded up trailer I'm rolling about 450 lbs under max capacity. I'd like to see 5200 as standard as well.