Single or double sided hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ITRY, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

I've always used double sided hedge trimmers and was wondering if anyone likes the single sided hedge trimmers. They look like they would be easier to handle and control. Any thoughts on one over the other? If you like the single sided, which brand do you prefer.

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

The only times I use a single sided trimmer are for larger limbed material like privet hedges. I have used the Little Wonder, as they are powerfull little cutters. Don't like the electric thing, however the double sided cutters are the only way to go for us. We have flexibility to cut on the way up..!! You aren't restricted to only cutting right to left-top to bottom...! Had an employee...........lose 3 of his finger tips on the little wonder.!! They cut anything!! My unit was 18 years old and the motor went out..........it well payed for itself long ago,.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

to me the double sided is much quicker and easier to use. mine also payed for itself pretty quickly

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

We do a ton of trimming, almost every day were out trimming up hedges or shaping bushes. We only use the double sided trimmers wether it be the extended reach or smaller hand helds, they work great even when cutting thick branches. We use all Stihl and have had zero problems.