single or double wheeled sulcky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffy77, Oct 14, 2005.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I own a single wheeled sulcky but i dont care for that line it leaves in the lawn. I havent ran a double wheeled on yet. Do the wheels stay in track with the mower wheels? Which do you prefer?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Got a two wheeled and it doesn't leave funky marks. It does make your tire marks bigger but the look is like you just have big tires on the mower not any funky lines. When turning though next to objects, sometimes if it is too tight of a turn the outside velke wheel will get caught up on what ever you are turning around. Still, not good enough reason for me to change to something else. Have a Velke x2, its great. Good Luck! I did a pole on this when i first came to LS, but lots of arguing going on if i remember right!! Good Luck

3. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

I do not care for the line left by the single wheel but it beats walking.

4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. I have a 2 wheeled home made sulky that I made wide so it would stay in the tracks of my 48" belt drive walk behind. The only thing I don't like about it is the tires are cheapo harbor feight ones and they don't last. I also just got a ferris 52" dual hydo w/b used and that came with a 1 wheel velky. I don't like the line it leaves but yes its better than walking. I have noticed I can mow closer and not hit objects like you can with the 2 wheeled sulky. The two wheeled helps to strip some too. If I had to do it again I would get a bull rider or proslide I think so I was always right behind the controls. Here is the link to pictures of the sulky I made and here is a pic of a lawn cut with the sulky I made.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61968

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have both, get the 2 wheel sulky.

6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed both...go with the 1 wheel Velke, I have one and I LOVE it!!!

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Two wheeled is the way to go. No tracks, more room to stand so you can move your legs ariund a bit and not have so much stress on the knees. Also, the weight distribution give it half the weight to sink as oppposed to a one wheeled sulky. WHAT were all the advantages to a one wheeled sulky again?

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes. get no wheels. I love my proslide. it is there when you want it, and gone when you don't. just watch out going down hills on it, I have wacked my shins a couple time at the bottom. other than that, its great.

btw, I secondary benefit I found to this, is that if your mower is not mulching that great for some reason, the proslide does an exellent job of breaking up the clumps.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I have a one wheel, but 2 would probably have worked better. The only reason I have this one is because it came with my WB.