Single or Dual Axle

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Raven386, May 4, 2006.

1. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I'm looking at 6X12 but i dont know if i should go with dual axles or just a single axle trailer. is the price for a dual going to jump a lot compared to the single? ive gotten prices for a single from $1299 - $1599. whats the difference between the single & dual?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Load capacity...

3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You should be fine with a single on a 6X12 unless you are going to carry landscape materials on it. With the equipment listed in your sig you will be fine with a single.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A dual axle 6X12 would be overkill. I wouldn't get a dual axle until I got up into the 16' length range.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We have a 14' single axle and a 18' dual axle. The dual axle tracks better, is easier to back, and is far more balanced when we put a 4 ton machine on it.

Of course, the extra length helps too.

6. Raven386

from CT

well im planning on a Z either this season or next. so it will be a 60" Z & 2 w/b. and other small equip. 22" mower, blowers etc..

7. Raven386

from CT

and i like the easier to back part about the dual! i have trouble with a 5X8... but ive only backed it up maybe a dozen times. im getting used to it.. but cutting my comm. account with just 2 - 48" w/b is getting rediculous. so an upgrade is coming very soon.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have a 6.5x12 that is a dual axle.....but I also use it is haul mulch so I needed the added capacity. I like it...

Derek

9. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

remember load restrictions with a single axle trailer. it will "probably" be a 3500 pound axle, take into account the weight of the empty trailer. whats left is your capacity. i'd agree with the equipment listed a single will be fine, and also about not loading materials. isnt a yard of dirt about 2000 pounds?

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Yes, a yard of topsoil is 2,000 lbs to 2,500 lbs.