Single Sulky Or Pro-slide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BNMLUTZ, Feb 13, 2007.

BNMLUTZ LawnSite Member

Im leaving trench marks in my lawns with my sulky. Even while changing patterns every mow. Would pro slide be a better choice. Using Toro 36 w/b. I am also 225lbs. Thanks guys-
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Do yu currently have a one wheel sulky? IF so, that's why you are leaving ruts. I am also 225 and I ride Jungle Wheels. Never had a problem with ruts from it.
  3. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

The Jungle wheels are adjustable. You can make the distance of the platform closer or further away, to suit your size. They are very heavy duty. We have an excellent price on Jungle wheels. We also used to sell the proslide but most people like the Jungle wheels better. They seemed to put less strain on the mower. Plus the wear plate on the proslide seemed to be an issue for some people.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Where is the excellent price? I bought mine from my dealer for $250 and didn't have to pay shipping.
  5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I bet with your size the proslide on a 36 will be to much for it to pull. I think you should probably get a two wheel sulky. I personally have a two wheel velke. It does not leave a line like the single, but I like the ride of the single better.
  6. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

The pricing on all of our Jungle Jim line is wrong. We will fix it today. We just updated pricing for 2007 and there are some mistakes. So sorry about that. Check back on Thur it should be corrected by then.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

TurfDawg raises a good point. I have told my story and repeated it often (do a search) about how a Proslide did not work on my Exmark 36" hydro. However, others have said it worked on their 36" machine. Apparently, the success, or lack thereof, relates to the terrain. I know it did not work for me.

I am using a BullRider on my 36" machine and like it.
  8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately TRY the Proslide! Order one from a local source, tell them you want to take it back if it doesn't work for you. Maybe you have to pay a restocking fee and/or put on a new wear plate if it doesn't work. But you should try it!
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I think it would have more to do with wieght than terrain. Most walkbehinds don't have the power to pull a proslide with someone over 200lbs unless you have something like a 36" Toro walkbehind which comes standard with a 15hp kaw V-Twin, most come with a single cylinder Kohler in something like 10.5hp to 14hp. Single cylinder walks just dont have the power to pull a proslide and someone weighing over 200lbs especially on rough terrain. I would suggest getting a two wheeled sulky you will be much happier and so will your mower.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

lawnpro724 -- my 36" hydro has a 15hp Kolher. Power was never a problem. The weight of the machine, coupled with the narrower footprint than a 48, 52, or 60 wide machine was the problem. The irregular and inconsistent wheel slip did not allow me to control the direction of the machine. It was impossible to make a straight pass across a lawn, and very difficult to keep a constant overlap on following passes.

The nature of a ProSlide is such that the operator has no leverage with the ground. The slider is rigidly attached to the mower and moves with the mower as a single unit. With a one-wheeled Velke, or my BullRider in trailer mode, I have leverage from the operator platform to the handles. I can "drive" the mower with leverage to the ground, that is, make fine adjustments in direction. With the ProSlide (or BullRider in caster mode), there is no leverage. Any side forces against the handles is merely a force working against the operator platform. Therefore any fine tuning to direction control must be made through the hydro control. This proved to be very difficult. Bottom line for me: A real effort and concentration to keep the direction under control.

I hope this helps explain the behavior. I was very disappointed by the failure. The idea is a great one, but implementation on my machine, for my properties just not a good fit. I had one property for which it worked great -- but, I have 40-45 other ones on my list.