Single versus Dual Hydro Question - Quick Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jweiner, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

I think I am going to pull the trigger and purchase a Quick 36" mower. Can someone please tell me the main difference(s) between the unit that has single hydrostatic drive versus the unit called the Dually with dual hydrostatic drive? Thanks in advance!

2. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

The single means you kinda have to steer it by hand but the dually goes in any direction via triggers on top.

3. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

So does that mean when I am cutting in a straight line with a Dually, I have to squeeze two triggers the same amount or I'll end up drifting off in one direction? With a single hydro, do both wheels just go straight when one trigger is pulled? If that is the case, a single hydro almost sounds better.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

weiner.

To simplify, I call BOP's Dually line 'full power steering' aka the only effort it takes by you to steer is to push the levers. The single hydros do require you to physically turn the machine - there is a single grip lever that controls your speed and with the differential, the machine will travel straight unless you physically turn it. The biggest thing to get used to is turning 180's at the end of a pass, you have to 'throw' your weight a bit and swing er around at reduced ground speed. It is not too difficult once you get the hang of it. The Dually, however, makes things that much easier:)

5. HighFiveBassin

HighFiveBassin LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have the Quick 36 single that I use for my own lawn. It takes a little effort to turn but it certainly isn't hard. My yard is flat except one small area that has a slight grade. I can feel the quick wanting to fall off to the downhill side and turning up the grade takes a little more effort but as I said, the grade is slight and the area small. The Dually would be overkill for me but if you have a yard with hills the Dually will be easier to use and the better choice.

6. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

So just to clarify - if there aren't any hills or other significant grade changes, the single hydro is adequate without to much effort needed for 180 degree turns? Or . . is making 180 degree turns with a single hydro a bit of a pain?

7. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

Have you ever operated a self-propelled snow blower? Its basically like that. You have 1 lever to engage your drive. All of the the steering comes from your effort :weightlifter:. The dually requires little to no effort to turn, the machine is doing all of the turning for you.

8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You got it right bro. On flat terrain and a skilled person a single hydro performs as well as dual. 180 turns are a breeze, just remember to use the machine's momentum to your advantage. It's easier to do than explain: To turn 180 left, when you're moving to the end of the row, gently start turning left, when you reach the end slam in reverse. This transfers forward momentum into turning momentum. Once you're near 150 or so just pop in forward and it straightens out, a simple K turn. Only to start turns do you need to apply force. Easiest way of explaining it would be if you were to slam a truck in reverse during a high speed turn it would spin out.

A few other advantages: Single hydro is nearly $1k cheaper, reliable, easy to service, does'nt need tracking adjustments and practically never ruts. One hand is free to hold tree branches out of the way and such.

On hills the single is worthless compared to dual, the deck wants to dive down, top wheel likes to spin out, requires sumo-wrestling effort.

9. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

Yeah - so now I just went to take a look at a local dealer and he thinks I should go with a Deere x300 with a Mulching kit. It was fun to drive. He said commercial walk-behinds aren't popular at all anymore?!?

10. HighFiveBassin

HighFiveBassin LawnSite Member
    from VA

Before buying my Quick that was the biggest question in my mind and I read everything I could find about the Quick. It's hard to explain how much effort is needed. I don't consider it hard to turn but it will take a little more effort then a Dual Hydro. I don't consider it tiring to turn on level ground. It's all about technique and giving it the proper amount of forward control while turning which just takes practice. I find it is easier when turning at the end of a row to turn about 110 to 120 degrees in forward and finish the turn in reverse. It feels to me like I take less steps and don't "swing around" in a arc as much. You also don't cut divets with the inside tire although this isn't a big problem unless the turf is real soft since the Quick is light.

I don't know about the slamming it in reverse thing. I'll give it a try. As far as having a free hand to move branches, the left handlebar has a safety lever and if you take your hand off of it with the blades engaged the mower will stop and the engine will die.