Single vs double axle

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 21, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I went with the same exact 7 x 16 dual axle trailer. The new one pulls so much soother than the 2003 model. Guess that's new vs old!

2. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

I think a lot depends on what your tow vehicle is. I bought a single axle with brakes so I could tow it with a smaller truck. If I were towing with a full size truck all of the time, I would opt for a double axle trailer.

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Like I advised Landscape Poet, Upgrade the single axle to a 5200 Lbs vs 3200.

Go with TRAILER RATED (ST) not automobile radial tires load range at least D if not E. Get them balanced when mounted. Also, if you can forget the maintenace with linkage of duals or leaf springs on a single if you get the drop TORSION spring type axle with brakes. This setup will give you the smoothest and quietest ride. The additional cost is relatively modest and you'll see the savings in the long run.

Duals = more weight, more tire wear and costs, higher tolls also restrict axle placement for better balance when having a side gate. Also, with a drop axle you can lower the ride height and thus reduce the loading gate angles.

4. Lemony Snicket

Lemony Snicket LawnSite Member

agreed. Tires wear down on the rear so fast. I run 10 plys but still get flats from time to time.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Think it is a similar question as to Hydro or belt drive.

Although backing a tandem axle trailer up is easy. An another plus is that even if the tandem is a couple feet longer it sticks to your truck better on tight turns.

6. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a flat or blow out at speeds on a single " hang on Nellie !" two axles just find a place to pull over.:)

7. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hated backing up my single axle what a nightmare that was.

8. cps

cps LawnSite Member

Hit a bump with a single axle trailer and watch it jump, hit the same bump with a tandem axle trailer and it just glides over it!

9. Lemony Snicket

Lemony Snicket LawnSite Member

Kinda depends on the total weight too.

10. neblawncare23

neblawncare23 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Neb

I have been in the business for 2 years and run a 6x12 single axle. If I were to start all over again I would recommend getting a 16ft tandem axle. The single bounces way to much and is hard on your mower, and if you bag your grass ur trailer will be full after 5 average size lawns.
    So dont waste your time with the single and get tandem axle.