Single Vs Double-Sided Hedgetrimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, Feb 18, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

OK ... My guess is this has been answered many times on this site but I'm going to ask again .. just in case there are any new opinions.

Which is better .. Single-sided, or double-sided hedgeclippers?
    I'm going to buy a commercial set of them this week and I'd really like some input. The only answer I seem to get is "double-sided" .. however .. they still make single-sided and there HAS to be a reason. Anybody know? I'm really leaning towards buying the single-sided just because nobody seems to know what they're for except the manufacturers.

Please, give me some comments -- Thanks

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Double sided is a whole lot easier to maneuver than a single sided. You will be able to get into tighter places with the double-sided as well.

3. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Double

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got a double sided Echo with rotating handle, model HCR-1500. The same thing without a rotating handle is a HC-1500. The handle is good for sculpting or doing vertical trimming, etc. Has a 22" bar. I also have a Echo SRM2400SB split boom with the 18" double sided bar (non pivotal) the weight of it is more spread out and is more comfortable than the HCR1500 but it is long (8' end to end). Both have plenty power. Which ones are you looking at? Sorry couldn't answer your original question, I too fail to see the good in a single sided. But I do like what I have and it works good and has plenty of power. The Echo's always start quick and easy with just a couple pulls cold.
    Eric

jan31526.jpg

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think is for wide hedge's, they The blade come in a lot longer length i think. Thats what we use them for.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I think John is right. I have double sided HS85 trimmers, and they work great. I think they are a lot easier to operate. I have never used single sided ones, but I got 2 trimming jobs that someone used the single sided ones. Man did he mess the bushes up. He told one of the customers that the trimmer was not acting right. :eek: I don't think he ever had a hedge trimmer in his dirty hands before that job.:D

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally have and like the double sided.

But I can see where the single side would fill a need as well.

8. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

The absolute best hedge trimmers I've used personally is the Husqvarna articulating extended reach hedge trimmer. I can actually trim rows and rows of thigh high shrubs,switch to over my head,and back to ground covers in seconds w/o stopping,and with minimal sorness at the end of the day. They have really sped up my trimming jobs.
    Hope this helps

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Ihave 3 hedge trimmers all are double side.

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

double sided :)