Single wheel or dually truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dkeisala, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going out to look at a new F350 (sorry, a Ford guy, it's a genetic thing) diesel w/ automatic and an EZ Dumper insert today. Will be pulling a 6 X 12 tandem axle trailer w/ a 7000 GVW. My questions are - will a dually increase my weight carrying capacity that much? Cost for a dually isn't that much more so is it worth it? What about gas mileage difference for a dually?

2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Thing I would worry about with a duelly is that big a%# fender when you go to load up that easy dumper. My advise, if you go duelly....go either flatbed, dump body, or flat bed dump.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent point mike fronczak - thought of that myself.

4. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I agree with mike what year is the truck be careful with the auto trans they had some problems go manual if you can best bet!!!

Good Luck!

Joe

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they had problems with the 97-2001 transmissions? (not exactly sure). Another thing to consider is, are you going to be using this truck as your personal vehicle, if you are I def. wouldn't get a dump body or flat bed. Yes, a dually will pull A LOT more then just a regular truck I think, and it wont put as much wear and tear on it.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with a SRW.

Dually's are W I D E .!!!

Your looking at about 8" of rear fender hanging out on EACH side.

The trailer your planning on pulling will pull fine with a 1/2 ton truck. Todays SRW One ton trucks have 9900 gvwr's where Dually one tons are only 11-12K.

7. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

If you strictly want to mow go single wheel however if you want to haul bark mulch, pavers, wood things like that as a part of the business go with a flatbed dump dually. You have so many more possiblities Take the sideboards off and you can load a pallet of material easy, put bigger sideboards on for mulch or leaf pick up. Flatbed accepts sander for the winter. It depends on where you want to take the business.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

chicks dig a dually:D

9. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I had singles up untill 4 years ago. I will never be without a dually. I t makes a huge difference in stability. I used to feel that my trailer was pushing me around. Now the truck is the boss. I would recommend a long wheelbase with a flatbed.

10. G&S LANDSCAPING

G&S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I just bought a 2001 Dodge, 3500 , v-10, regular cad , dually. To replace a 1996, 1500, v-8, 318 . I am Towing a enclosed 16 foot Haulmark trailor, and a 10,000lbs.dump trailor, both with electric brakes on two axles. The dually pulls 100% better. very stable on the freeway, and around town. And will pull my dump trailor with a bobcat with no prolbem.