Single wheel or dually truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dkeisala, Feb 18, 2004.

1. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

A dually will not let you tow more. It will give what you are towing more stability. I would not get the dually even though I think they look awesome. I think you will not like the extra width or the extra cost of two more tires. Just my $0.02.

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

OK - talked to the dealer and now I am considering a F350 dually w/ a V10 and Marauder II with drop down sides and 3 to 4 yard capacity hydraulic dump body. Ford Powerstroke scares me, think the V10 gas is more dependable even though it will use more gas.

3. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't let the width bother me. I been pulling an extra wide 18' trailer for years. It's just something you get used to.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Now your talking about a DUMP TRUCK?

I thought you were looking at pickups with dump inserts?

BIG Difference there. Plus Dumps are not as wide as a dually pickup.

Looks like a good package. Sure you don't want a F-450 though?

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

the dump truck u mention would be the best bet. possibilities are forever going with them. plow, sand, leaf box, pallets, bulk material etc etc etc. now my question, i heard dully pick ups are better for towing then hauling in such that they can handle towing more weight but cant handle much more hauling in the bed??? can some one explain?

6. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Scottie A SRW or DRW truck with same gross weight sticker. The SRW truck weights less so you can load more in the bed.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i dont think so
    srw max gvw 9,600
    drw max gvw 11,200
    state trooper goes by the weight posted on the door frame not the weight sticker in the window

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

The nice thing about a dually pick up or dump bed is that if
    the truck is between the lines of the lane that you are driving
    in, then the trailer will be in the lane and not hanging over.
    I catch myself letting the trailer fenders get over the lane
    when I am trailering my 6'10" tandem trailer with my F150.

Just something to think about

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at both options, the F350 and the F450 - the F450 with DRW has a payload of 15,500 I think and the F350 has something like 12,000 so there isn't a significant payload difference between them, from what I understand.

Additional concern is cost and I want to keep it as close to 30 grand as possible. Ford dealers here pool there work trucks with ABC Truck Body so it is gonna depend on what the availability is. I would actually take either. With the 450 I could step up to the 5 to 6 yard dump body but wouldn't have the option of drop down sides making loading it with grass clippings more difficult.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The F-350 has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 11,200 lbs.

GVWR is the MAX the entire truck can weigh at any given time, NOT what it can haul, tow, etc.

The F-450 has a GVWR of 15,000 lbs.

That is 3,800 lbs MORE capacity from an otherwise similar curb weight truck. Well worth it if you ask me. One ton dumps are regularly close to 8500 lbs empty. That leaves you with not even 3000 lbs of payload capacity! I can haul that much in my SRW Pickup!

Go with the F-450 and have the ability to legally haul over 3 tons of material in the dump box.