Single wheel Velkey usage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lenster, Mar 31, 2005.

1. lenster

lenster LawnSite Member

Hello All

I just purchased a used Exmark metro 48 with Kohler 15 and a single wheel velkey.
    Can anyone tell me whether if it is realistic to think this set up will pull me (250 lbs) across my lawn without creating grooves in my yard and straining the kohler?
    Has anyone over 200 used one?

Lenster

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have and if it is very wet , it can/ will rut,it has to be very wet though. I have a 15hp that pulls me fine and Im well past 250 lol

3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

lenster,
    I think you may be pushing it a little. I switched to a double wheel to keep from rutting. My really nice yards I was fine on anything else, rutting would happen. However, if it was wet it would rutt. I weigh in at about 185lbs.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the single-wheel's long term capacity is around 225 lbs....more than that, they break inside and puncture the tube.

5. lenster

lenster LawnSite Member

Do you get the single wheel line in your stripes when you mow? Is it noticeable?

Lenster

6. kwelch

kwelch LawnSite Member

I've used the single wheel for a long time and yes I would get the single wheel mark in the middle of my stripes. I recently switched to the proslide and love it.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

yep I get the 3rd line, If I had it to do over again I would get the 2 wheel just so that the wheels would line up with the mower

8. lenster

lenster LawnSite Member

Any problem with braking the wheel and punctuing the tube??
    How long have you been using your single wheel velkey?

Lenster

9. grass_cuttin_fool

I have 207 hours on the mower and I have replaced the tube 1 time and I have never broken a wheel

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I use the single wheel velke, but only because it did come with the mower. I do get the 3rd line, but it still looks fine. So far no tire issues.