sir, after much consideration, we have decided not to use you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 25, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

is that something? that was a letter i recieved in the mail, along with the unsigned contract that i sent to him. i talked with him, the price was fine, everything was fine, until he recieved the contract in the mail. the "wording" he says suggests that we are starting off "on a bad note", and he decided not to use us. amazing. imagine that, the nerve of me, actually expecting a client to sign an agreement on a business deal which states he promises to pay the bill, on time, and that the price of $35 was to include grass cutting services, anything extra would be charged accordingly. but the nerve of me, just WHO do i think i am? you guys have any clients who backed out, when asked to sign the contract?

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby- I carry agreements in my briefcase with me in the truck .I was signing a new account last fall, and she said "what's that?" when I pulled the agreement out. I told her is for the lawn and maintenance, look it over, and I 'll print one out and send it to you to sign. She wouldn't sign b/c the last guy didn't use a contract...hmmm, guess that's why we were bidding his lawn..-thanks for wasting my time lady....NEXT!!!

3. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

gedd, you amaze me, you wouldn't last a week in my area. keep your agreements simple, go through it with the customer and always make sure your with them when they sign the contract.. remember, your cutting there grass dude, not building a home.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, you seem to be posting some stories about some real winner customers. Customers like that you should let go. I have had to let go (instead of trying to fight) a few like that, mostly lawyers living in very high end homes. In the end it is not worth it.

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i> remember, your cutting there grass dude, not building a home.</i>
    <p>No,he's providing a needed service to a client,or else they wouldn't be calling.He's also covering his ass,providing proof that he has a client base(in case the loan officer wants to see his business income),providing proof for his insurance carrier that he was allowed to do the work(in case there's an accident and a claim needs to be filed),and he's also letting the customer know what the rate will be,the services rendered,the payment method,billing method,schedule,etc.,,in writing,for the season.
    <p>If I were hiring someone to do ANY service that's going to be all year long,I would definately want to know all terms and agreements.

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Hell, I had a client have his attorney review my contract AND send me a letter refusing the terms of the agreement.

My contract has evolved over time and is meant to clarify expectations for both parties so no questions arise in the future. If you don't want to sign my contract, fine, I don't want to do business with someone that doesn't want to take any responsibility. I refuse to carry everything on my shoulders.

7. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

We have a church in Glendora that said we owe them $9000 worth of repairs on their irrigation system. This account was already in effect when I joined on. They asked one of the developmentally-disabled adults on my crew to put in a bleed screw on a valve because it was leaking. Their logic is that because HE touched it, we're responsible. I told them it was not now nor had ever been in the contract and that my inspection showed they were putting way too much pressure through the system which was substandard to begin with. What tosser doesn't put a pressure regulator when they've got a 3 in. supply line? And the whole site is 25k sq ft. Needless to say they have acted very un-Christian. The pastor is one of the coldest, business-like people I've ever met. Of course, Glendora is exceedingly wealthy.

8. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

you bob ol' bean,

from all the crap you write abouton here i would have to say that i wouldn't use your service either. something to think about is that people like to be treated nicely. i like to think that a handshake is still the best way to secure anything. granted that you live in a place in the world that the handshake can be risky business, so perhaps you should try to personalize your desire to have sign up with the devil, if you know what i mean.

just my $.02 and i know you may not like that but...

9. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Bobby............why worry? You say they ALL COME BACK, right?
    You're constantly contradicting yourself. When I first came onto this site, I thought your responses were somewhat amusing, yet annoying at most. So as much as it hurts me to say and do this......I have to skip over any more posts started by Bobby G. The rest of you guys can keep him entertained.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

business on a handshake? HA HA HA HA HA HA