Sirens, Horns, Grill mount strobes?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Signature Landscaping1, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I was wondering if having a siren in you truck is illegal. I just got out of the biz. I now drive a 02' Ford Explorer. I want to deck it out, I already have ordered a new gibson dual exhaust for it. I have a cb radio and police scanner built in. I was thinking about getting a combo siren/horns/pa system in my explorer. I wouldnt be using the siren, but is it ok to have in my suv?
    Also someone was telling me it is illegal to have clear strobes in the headlights, and grill mounted strobes. I was thinking of getting amber's.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Depends on your the strobes are illegal/improper equip. Nobody really gets bothered though because the ones using them are construction crews on the sides of roads and its just viewed as more of a safety thing though it is illegal.

Here things like that and the pa system etc.......considered to be intended for off road use only.

Just call your local popo.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If using on roadways, you have to have "Emergency Vehicle" on it somewhere or someother gvmt agency. It is also required to have sirens on when driving w/ lights going. I also do HAZMAT response so I get to play w/ the lights & sirens sometimes. Way too fun IMO!
  5. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

Yea i used to have a megaphone until a few days ago. That thing was fun. I was just thinking maybe a dashmount double amber strobe and thats it.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

NO it is not ok to have a siren in a private vehicle unless you are a emergency personal.
  7. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Like they said above, I always see the contruction guys around here with white strobes in there headlights.

I bet the fine for that stuff is pretty salty, be careful.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You could get sirens, etc, and put your Environmental Police emblem on a huge magnet on your door.

Then if you see a hot chick, I mean stank hot, driving around, you could pull her over for STANKING up the environment, then bathe her.
  9. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Its ok to have the amber strobes in massachusetts. You need a permit for blue or red which unless your a first responder (police, fire, etc) you cant get. the permit is issued by the state after a paperwork process by your local police or fire department. PA systems are legal but you have to use discretion with them. Theirs no reason you need a siren so I wouldn't bother with it, its only going to get you in trouble. Theirs no reason you need any of that stuff since you are not using the vehicle for work. It may look cool but it will probably only end up getting you in trouble.
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Trying to figure out why you'd want strobes on an Explorer or a PA system. Whatever floats your boat though. Most states require a permit for white (clear), blue, or red strobes.